All County of San Diego employees are required to designate their
life insurance beneficiaries in MetLife’s Beneficiary
Basic Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance
Life and AD&D insurance are administered by MetLife and provide a financial benefit for your beneficiaries in the case of your death. The County of San Diego automatically provides you with basic life and AD&D plans with amounts based on your job classification.
- If you pass away, your designated beneficiary(s) may receive the life insurance benefit
- If an accident causes your death, your beneficiary(s) may receive the AD&D benefit, in addition to the life insurance benefit
- If an accident caused you to lose one or more limbs or senses, you may receive all or part of your AD&D coverage amount
Additionally, the County provides $2,000 of dependent life insurance coverage for your eligible dependents. If an eligible dependent dies, you are the beneficiary.
Supplemental Life and AD&D Insurance
You may choose to purchase additional life and/or AD&D coverage.
- Supplemental life coverage is available in amounts equal
to one to six times your annual salary, with the submission of a
Medical Statement of Health.
- The Medical Statement of Health is “proof of good health” and certifies that you’re generally healthy at the time of purchasing coverage. If you elect or increase Supplemental Life Insurance, you will need to complete a Medical Statement of Health.
AD&D coverage is available in amounts equal to one to three
times your annual salary.
- You may purchase supplemental AD&D coverage for yourself or for you and your family.
All County of San Diego employees are required to designate their life insurance beneficiaries in the MetLife MyBenefits system.
Remember: The beneficiaries that you designate will receive all life and AD&D financial benefits that are eligible if you pass away. It is important that you always keep your beneficiary designations up to date.
Long Term Disability Insurance
You may be eligible for long term disability insurance paid by the County of San Diego, depending on your job classification. Refer to your Benefit Summary to determine if you are eligible for this plan.
- This plan, offered through MetLife, pays Long-Term Disability benefits monthly to replace a portion of your income until you are able to return to work.
- To start a claim, contact Employee
Benefits at 888-550-2203 or DHRBenefits.FGG@sdcounty.ca.gov
If you are not eligible for County-paid Long Term Disability, please refer to the Voluntary LTD plan offered by Lincoln.
MetLife Claims and Statement of Health: 800-638-6420
MetLife Beneficiary Designation and Confirmation: 866-492-6983