Your Cost For Coverage

The County of San Diego provides you with a twice-monthly allowance of Flex Credits that you can use to purchase benefits.


About Your Flex Credit Amount

The  County of San Diego’s flexible benefit program provides you with a twice-monthly allowance known as your Flex Credit amount.  It can be applied toward the cost of your health care plans, various supplemental insurances, and Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA's).  Flex credit amounts are determined by your bargaining unit's labor agreement.

Excess Flex Credits

You may have excess Flex Credits if you waive health care coverage or if you elect a medical plan that costs less than your twice-monthly allowance.

If you enroll in a High Deductible Plan (HDHP) with a Health Savings Account (HSA), your excess Flex Credits will be automatically deposited into an HSA for you to use to pay for eligible health care expenses. The HSA will be administered by Optum Bank. There is no minimum contribution amount to the HSA.

If you don’t enroll in a High Deductible Health Plan with an HSA, you can elect to have excess Flex Credits directed into a:

  • Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA).

You will not receive a cash benefit for waiving participation in the County’s health care plans. If your excess Flex Credits are less than $120 annually, they will automatically be forfeited.

Pre-Tax Premium Contributions

The medical, dental, vision, and supplemental AD&D premiums, as well as contributions to an FSA or HSA, are deducted  from  your  paycheck with pre-tax dollars. This means that contributions are taken from your earnings before Federal taxes, Social Security taxes, and, in some cases, state taxes as well, resulting in lower taxes and increased take home pay.

Waiving the County Medical Plan

You may waive medical plan coverage only if:

  • You have other Health Insurance Coverage

Waiving coverage may only be elected during the County’s Open Enrollment period or during the year as the result of a qualifying event as defined by Section 125 of the Internal Revenue Code.