Alternatives to Incarceration Project
The County of San Diego is working collaboratively with community stakeholders and health and justice partners to advance alternatives to incarceration and promote strategies and services that prevent people who do not pose a public safety threat from becoming incarcerated.
On May 23, 2023, the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) presented its Final Report and Recommendations on Alternatives to Incarceration to the Board of Supervisors. County staff on that date also presented related recommendations adopted unanimously by the Board of Supervisors for supportive services and County actions to prevent people from entering jail or re-entering jail. You can read the full County Work Plan for Alternatives to Incarceration (ATI) here.
ATI was initiated in October 2021, when the Board of Supervisors directed County staff to collaborate with justice and health partners, service providers, and community members, including people with lived experience in the justice system, to develop recommendations to safely reduce jail populations and promote alternatives to incarceration.
The County of San Diego partnered with SANDAG to analyze incarceration trends; identify priority populations to focus on; analyze the needs, gaps, and barriers faced by justice-involved individuals when accessing needed services; outline best practices from other jurisdictions; solicit community input throughout the project; and develop a set of recommendations based on the data and feedback collected.
Alternatives to Incarceration Advisory Group
The Alternatives to Incarceration (ATI) Advisory Group is a collaborative body of County of San Diego (County) and public health, justice, and community partners that advises County leadership on programs implemented as part of the ATI initiative. The Advisory Group helps shape the County’s investment in justice system prevention, diversion, and re-entry programs and services.
- May 23, 2023 - Board of Supervisors Adopted Actions, ATI Work Plan, and Final Report on Alternatives to Incarceration
- April 24, 2023 - Final Report
- February 28, 2023 - Presentation of Draft Comprehensive Report to the Board of Supervisors
- December 16, 2022 - Draft Comprehensive Report
- October 14, 2022 - Third Interim Report
- July 29, 2022 - Second Interim Report
- May 24, 2022 - Presentation of Initial Interim Report to the Board of Supervisors
- April 12, 2022 - Initial Interim Report
- March 15, 2022 - SANDAG Presentation of Preliminary Report to the Board of Supervisors
- February 15, 2022 - Preliminary Report
- February 8, 2022 - Presentation of Preliminary Recommendations to the Board of Supervisors
- October 19, 2021 - Original Direction from the Board of Supervisors
Community Listening Sessions
- May 4, 2023 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording
- May 4, 2023 - ATI Final Report Community Listening Session Information
- January 25 and 31, 2023 - ATI Community Listening Session Presentation
- January 31, 2023 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording (English, Español)
- January 25, 2023 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording (English, Español)
- July 7, 2022
- ATI Community Listening Session Recording (English, Español)
- July 5, 2022 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording (English, Español)
- June 29, 2022 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording (English, Español)
- June 23, 2022 - ATI Community Listening Session Recording
- Comments from 2022 SANDAG Community Survey
- Questionnaire from 2022 SANDAG Stakeholder Survey (English, Español)