Benefits of Owning an Electric Vehicle
There are many reasons to own an EV.
From financial, environmental, and health benefits to improved performance and comfort and reduced maintenance, EVs offer something for everyone.
With available incentives, fuel savings, and lower maintenance, many EVs are as affordable as gasoline-powered vehicles and by 2025 will even save consumers money compared to conventional gas vehicles.
- Rebates and incentives can save you an estimated $2,500-$7,500 in up-front costs when you purchase or lease a new EV. With the addition of tax benefits available after vehicle purchase, all together state and federal incentives can save you as much as $13,000.
- EV operation and maintenance costs can be up to 50% lower than conventional vehicles.
- Multiple options are available for utility rates to charge your EV. You can charge your EV during off-peak nighttime hours and take advantage of even more discounted rates.
- For new vehicles, the 5-year total cost to own – or all of the vehicle-related costs such as financing, fees, fuel, insurance, maintenance, and repairs you will likely have to pay during the first 5 years of owning a vehicle – is lower on some electric vehicles compared to conventional options.
As the region moves toward an energy grid powered by renewables, an EV is a great way to take advantage of this new energy market.
- EVs are the most environmentally friendly option available.
- Battery EVs do not contribute any GHG emissions to on-road transportation.
- EVs do not emit other pollutants, like smog, associated with conventional car exhaust.
- Choosing an electric vehicle will contribute to air quality improvements and a reduction in health risks like asthma for San Diego county residents.
- Even when considering the full production line, electric vehicles have a lower carbon footprint than conventional vehicles.