Office of Military & Veterans Affairs
Provides benefit information and assistance, plus other support to San Diego County veterans and their families.
Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently NOT accepting any
walk-in customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have
caused. We are following protocols mandated to us and for the safety
of the community.
For assistance, please call 858-694-3222 or email email@example.com
The mission of Office of Military & Veterans Affairs is to provide professional services for military veterans and their dependents and survivors who are entitled to benefits from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, the State of California, and other agencies as applicable.
The Office of Military & Veterans Affairs was re-established in 1987 to serve the veteran population of San Diego County, which has the second largest veteran population in the state. The office assists veterans and their dependents and survivors to obtain benefits from the federal, state and local agencies administering programs for veterans, and provides advocacy to the veterans community regarding entitlement rights to federal, state and local benefits programs.
If you are unsure of where to find help, need aid to get started, or are just unsure of your entitled benefits, you can obtain assistance by calling the Office of Military & Veterans Affairs. An accredited Office of Military & Veterans Affairs Representative will assist you or direct you to the appropriate resource. The Office of Military & Veterans Affairs provides outreach services if veterans, their dependents and survivors cannot come to the office because of a disability.
Veterans and others are encouraged to participate in the San Diego Military and Veterans Advisory Council. Click here to find out more about the meetings.
The Office of Military & Veterans Affairs provides these services and helps with the following benefits:
Services offered through the Office of Military & Veterans
- Comprehensive benefits counseling
- Claims preparation and submission
- Claims follow-up to ensure final decisions
- Initiate and develop appeals when appropriate
- Networking and advocacy with federal, state and local agencies
Information and referral for the following:
- Public assistance
- Veterans Affairs medical care
- Military installations Retired Activities Office
- Homeless issues
- Disability transition assistance counseling at the Naval Medical Hospital, San Diego
- Certification of discharge papers (DD-214) for filing claims with the VA.
Assistance offered in filing for the following benefits:
- Compensation (service-related injuries or disease).
- Re-open compensation claim for increase or re-evaluation.
- Dependency and Indemnity Compensation for survivors (based upon service-connected disability or death).
- Nonservice-connected pension (for war era veterans only).
- Death pension (for survivors of wartime era veterans only).
- Admission to the State Veterans Homes of California (California Department of Veterans Affairs).
- Request for military records and decorations.
- Discharge upgrade and correction of military records.
- Vocational Rehabilitation.
- VA home loan guarantee eligibility.
- Education benefits (VA).
- Disability life insurance and waiver of premiums
- Payment of proceeds of VA life insurance.
- Burial benefits (VA).
- Medical care/dental care at VA facilities.
- Cal-Vet Loans.
- Approving agency for the State College Tuition Fee Waiver program for dependents of eligible veterans.
- Assist veterans and their survivors for placement in long-term care facility.
Making an Appointment
The following Appointment Checklist and Care Expense Statement will help you gather the information you will need for filing fully developed Compensation, Pension, Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and Survivors Pension claims.
- Appointment Checklist
- College Fee Waivers Checklist
- Care Expense Statement
- Veteran Status Verification Form (VSD-001)
Once ALL materials have been gathered, please call (858) 694-3222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
Additional resources may be found from 2-1-1.
Courage to Call
Click here to speak with a fellow Veteran who knows what it means to serve and who can connect you with the help you need.
VA San Diego Healthcare System
For more information phone 858-694-3222 or send us an email.