Access Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Si necesita ayuda en Español, por favor marque 1-866-262-9881

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Am I eligible for benefits?

    Each program has its own rules and regulations that determine who is eligible. Refer to our  Assistance Programs page for more information. 

  • How can I apply for benefits?

    You can apply for benefits online, over the phone , by mail as well as in one of our local offices.  Please visit our  Assistance Programs page to find the specific options for each program as well as office location closest to you.

  • Why haven't I heard anything about my application?

    Applications require time to process and you will receive a letter in the mail when an eligibility determination is made.

    CalFresh/SNAP applications should be processed within 30 days.

    CalWORKs applications should be processed within 45 days.    

    Medi-Cal applications should take 45 days, except those which require a disability determination which can take 90 days.                                

    If you haven't received a notification about your case and it is past the above timeframes, you can contact your assigned worker to check the status of your application. Otherwise you can contact Access by phone at (866) 262-9881.

  • How can I submit verifications?

    There are different options to submit requested verifications such as online through, or through LaterDocsby mail or by visiting one of our Family Resource Centers.  While electronic verifications are accepted, originals may be requested if needed.

  • How do I find out the status of my case or make updates to my case?

    There are many options to review the status of your case as well as make updates:

    Written notification will be mailed to you regarding any updates that are made to your case. You are also able to report any changes through mail by sending to our Document Processing Center at PO Box 85027, San Diego, CA 92186

    Online through where you can register an account, view your benefits, submit reports and renewals, let us know if there has been a change in circumstance for your household, or track your application and upload documents.    

    Watch a video to learn how to apply on the BenefitsCal website on 

    By calling Access at (866) 262-9881. Live agents are available to assist you Monday – Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm.

  • How do I get more information about Medi-Cal managed health care plans?

    Health Care Options is a program to inform customers on Medi-Cal about their health care choices. For more information, visit the Health Care Options website or call Health Care Options at 1-800-430-4263.

  • I am pregnant and need health insurance. What should I do?

    You should contact the Perinatal Care Network (PCN) for assistance at 1-800-675-2229. PCN works with families eligible for pregnancy related Medi-Cal to make sure that women get prenatal care and other services they need. For more information, visit the  PCN website.

  • How do I find out what is covered by Medi-Cal?

    The Medi-Cal Beneficiary Help Desk assists Medi-Cal customers with questions related to their Medi-Cal coverage and Share of Cost. They can be reached at (916) 636-1980.

    Covered CA customers would need to contact their assigned provider directly to inquire on coverage.  The provider contact information can be found online at Health Plan Websites.

  • How much money is left on my EBT card? How can I change my PIN?

    You can check the available benefits as well as change your PIN on your EBT card by visiting the  EBT Customer website or by calling the Toll Free Customer Service number that is on the back of your card: 1-877-328-9677 (TTY:1-800-735-2929) (Available 24/7) or visit one of our Family Resource Centers.  

    For additional EBT Resources, click here and then click on Resources.

  • What do I do if my EBT card is not working?

    You can request a new EBT card be mailed to you by calling the Toll Free Customer Service number that is on the back of your card: 1-877-328-9677 (TTY:1-800-735-2929) (Available 24/7). You can also visit one of our Family Resource Centers to request a new EBT card.

  • What other services are available to CalWORKs recipients?

    CalWORKs recipients are eligible to participate in the Welfare-to-Work (WTW) Program. Supportive services, such as child care, transportation payments, and/or work-related expenses, are available to those who participate in WTW. For more information, visit the  WTW website.

  • How can I get help with child care?

    CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work participants can get subsidized child care through the County. Customers are eligible while they are participating in approved Welfare-to-Work activities, until their children reach age 13, or the family reaches an income above the eligibility limits. Refer to the  child care website for more information.

  • I do not agree with a decision made about my application or case. What can I do?

    You can file an appeal by following the instructions on the back of your Notice of Action (NOA). You can also contact Access at (866) 262-9881 where live agents are available to assist you Monday - Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm.  Please visit the  Appeals FAQs website for more information.

  • How do I report suspected public assistance fraud?

    Public assistance fraud complaints for San Diego County are handled through the District Attorney's Public Assistance Fraud Unit. To report suspected fraud, you can call 1-800-421-2252.

    If reporting for another county please refer to the contact information on the DSS website.

  • Who do I contact about monies owed to the County of San Diego?

    The Office of Revenue and Recovery is responsible for these services. They can be reached at (619) 515-6200.

  • How can I order a new Medi-Cal BIC card?

    You can request a new BIC by calling Access at (866) 262-9881. Live agents are available to assist you Monday – Friday 7:00am to 5:00pm. You can also visit one of our Family Resource Centers to request a temporary BIC card as well as replacement.

  • Can I have a friend assist me with my case?

    You are able to have an adult or organization that is sufficiently aware of the household circumstances including all information about household composition, income and resources needed to determine eligibility assist you with your case as an Authorized representative (AR). We will require written authorization from you prior to disclosing any confidential information to a third party.

    The written authorization must include:

    ·         Name and signature of the applicant

    ·         Dated by the applicant

    ·         The name of the person or organization, if any, that the AR is associated with or employed

    ·         Specify the purpose of the appointment (such as to assist with the Medi-Cal application process)

    ·         Language authorizing the county to release confidential information to the AR (such as to receive confidential information from The County).

    Please use LaterDocs to submit your written authorization.

  • How can I reschedule my interview appointment?

    Please call 1-833-246-6948