Health Care Flexible Spending Account
The Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HCFSA) is a pre-tax
savings account to be used for qualified medical, dental, and vision
expenses for you and your eligible dependents. Some expenses
- office visits
- prescription drug co-pays
- chiropractic care
- laser eye surgery
- eyeglasses/contact lenses
- over-the-counter medication
- Click here to review a full list of IRS eligible expenses.
There are two types of accounts:
- Health Care FSA – To be used with traditional medical insurance plans. Use it to pay for things like coinsurance, prescriptions, and medical equipment.
- Limited Purpose Health Care FSA – For when you have both a High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) along with a Health Savings Account (HSA). The Limited Purpose FSA is available for dental and vision expenses only.
When Can I Make Claims?
Claims may only be made for expenses incurred while the account is active.
- If your account is closed during the year due to a job change or a Qualifying Life Event, the account cannot be used to reimburse expenses incurred after the account was closed.
All claims must be submitted to ASIFlex by March 31st for the previous plan year.
Will My Unused Funds Rollover?
There is a "Use It or Lose It" provision, which means services for claims must be incurred while the account is active, up to December 31st of the plan year.
- Generally, you may rollover up to $610 into the next plan
year as long as your account remains open through December
31st of the current plan year.
- If you have remaining balance in a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA), there is a combined limit of $610 eligible for rollover.
Please note: If you elect a Health Savings Account (HSA) for the next plan year, your HCFSA will become a Limited Purpose Health Care FSA for dental and vision expenses only.
How Much You Can Contribute
Annually: $120 to $3,050
Excess Flex Credits: Employees who are waiving medical insurance because they are enrolled in an Individual Plan (such as Tricare, Medicare, Medi-Cal, or Covered California) are eligible for up to $500 of excess flex credits into a HCFSA.
Health Reimbursement Account (HRA): If you have a flex credit funded HRA in addition to an out-of-pocket HCFSA, you are limited to a $5,000 combined maximum.
Participation in a HCFSA during a Leave of Absence
You will continue to have access to your HCFSA while on Leave of Absence. Your contributions will automatically continue during a Leave of Absence period, as long as you continue to receive a paycheck. Any missed contributions during an unpaid Leave of Absence will be collected upon your return from leave. Refer to the Leave of Absence page for additional information.
Flexible Spending Account Description
The County’s Cafeteria Plan Document and Summary provides a detailed description of the FSA Plan, and is intended to provide you with a general understanding of the Plan.
ASIFlex offers customer support, as well as easy-to-use online tools to help you make the most of your FSA. Participants can use the ASIFlex website to access interactive claims, online calculators, and view account balances and reimbursement histories.
Contact the Administrator
- Phone: 800-659-3035