As you begin your new job, your hiring department will be working with you to complete important paperwork. Below you will find information to help you get started, including signing up for benefits if you are eligible.
Attend New Employee Orientation
At your New Employee Orientation, staff from the Department of Human Resources Benefits division will be giving you a new hire packet with personalized benefits information. They'll also spend some time talking about the choices you have as a new County employee. If you need information in regards to New Employee Orientation please contact your Departmental Human Resources Representative.
Complete Your Benefits Enrollment – Only 30 days and the clock's ticking!
You will need to complete your online enrollment including
submitting any required documentation within 30 days of your hire
date. If you do not complete your enrollment in a timely manner, you
will automatically be enrolled in the Kaiser HMO health plan for
employee only coverage and any County excess Flexible Credits will be
defaulted to a Health Reimbursement Account.
Who Is Eligible for Benefits
You are eligible for benefits if you are:
• An active employee of the County of San Diego who is authorized to work 20 or more hours per week
• An elected official of the County of San Diego.
If you are eligible, you may also enroll your eligible dependents. Eligible dependents include:
• Your legal spouse or domestic partner (same-sex or opposite sex)
• Your children* or your spouse/domestic partner’s children* who meet the age
requirements (to the right)
• Your children* or your spouse/domestic partner’s children* of any age if:
– They are incapable of self-sustaining employment because of a physical or mental
disability that occurred before they reached the age limit for the plan, and
– You provide proof of the child’s incapacity and dependency within 60 days after the
insurance carrier requests the Disabled Dependent Certification.
* Children include your or your spouse/domestic partner’s biological children, stepchildren, legally
adopted children, children placed with you for adoption, children for whom you have been appointed
legal guardian, and children for whom you are required to provide coverage under a Qualified
Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO) up to the age limit for the plan.
Are Your Dependents County Employees?
If you and your spouse or domestic partner are County employees:
• Both County employees are eligible to participate in health care benefits
• Only one of you may be covered as a dependent under the other employee’s plan
• Only one of you may cover your eligible dependent children (or grandchildren in the
Kaiser HMO or Kaiser HDHP).
If you and your dependent child are both County employees, your child will be covered as
an employee. You won’t be able to cover him or her as a dependent.
If you want to enroll your domestic partner:
• Your domestic partner must be
at least 18 years of age or older and mentally competent to
consent to the domestic partnership.
• You must share a close personal relationship and be responsible for each other’s common welfare.
• You must be each other’s sole domestic partner.
• You cannot be married to
anyone or have another domestic partner within the prior six months.
• You must not be related to each other by blood to a degree that would prohibit legal marriage in the State of California.
• You must share the same regular and permanent residence with the current intent to continue
doing so indefinitely.
• You must be mutually financially responsible for each other’s “basic living expenses.”
• You cannot be married to anyone or have another domestic partner within the prior six months.
No Exclusion for Pre-existing Conditions
You and your eligible family members will not be excluded from enrollment in any of the County’s medical, dental or vision plan based on your health, nor will your premium or level of benefits be based on any pre-existing health conditions. In fact, you and your eligible family members will not be asked for a statement of health for these plans.
Enroll in Benefits via Employee Self-Service/eBenefits
You will receive two seperate emails in your County email address that will include your account information and password. If you do not receive these emails within the first few days of hire, please contact the Help Desk. You will need to provide your Employee ID number. If you do not know your Employee ID number, please contact your Departmental Human Resources Representative.
Required Documents for Benefit Enrollment
Mandatory training has been assigned to you in the Learning Management System (LMS). Access the LMS by going to InSite and selecting Learning Management System under Top Links. If you receive an error message, please email the LMS team at firstname.lastname@example.org.