In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are reminded of the importance of practicing healthy habits for ourselves, our families, and our communities. If you smoke or vape, quitting is a great step toward better health and achieving that goal.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), smoking may lead to a weakened immune system. People with a weak or compromised immune system are considered a high-risk group for poor COVID-19 health outcomes. High-risk groups are more likely to have severe complications from COVID-19. This means that people who have a weakened immune system have a higher chance of getting seriously sick from COVID-19 if they are infected. Smoking and vaping also increase your chance of developing lung diseases. People with lung disease are another high-risk group who also have a higher chance of serious illness if infected with the COVID-19 virus.
Because of this, many health professionals and scientists suggest that quitting smoking and vaping could help lower the risk of complications related to COVID-19.
Resources & Materials
Here are several resources with information about smoking and COVID-19, quitting smoking and vaping, and the dangers from exposure to secondhand smoke.
Smoking & COVID-19
- Protect Yourself from COVID-19: Stop Smoking and Vaping - Three reasons to stop smoking and vaping now
- Quitting Time: Tobacco and COVID-19 Fact Sheet (English | Spanish)
- Tips to Quit Smoking or Vaping During COVID-19 / Coronavirus
- Secondhand smoke resources and information
- Information about COVID-19 and Smoking
Resources for Quitting Smoking
California Smokers’ Helpline
- New COVID-19 website (English | Spanish)
- Call 1-800-NO-BUTTS (1-800-662-8887) to receive a free, two-week starter kit of nicotine patches mailed to your home, while supplies last. For eligible smokers over 18.
- Spanish: 1-800-456-6386
- Mandarin and Cantonese: 1-800-838-8917
- Vietnamese: 1-800-778-8440
- Korean: 1-800-556-5564
Asian Smokers’ Quitline (ASQ) COVID-19 Websites
- Traditional Chinese - https://www.asiansmokersquitline.org/covid-19-tc/?lang=zh-hant
- Simplified Chinese - https://www.asiansmokersquitline.org/covid-19-sc/?lang=zh-hans
- Korean - https://www.asiansmokersquitline.org/covid-19-k/?lang=ko
- Vietnamese - https://www.asiansmokersquitline.org/covid-19-viet/?lang=vi
Truth Initiative – Text-to-quit vaping service for young adults
- Text DITCHJUUL to 88709 to join a free mobile program that helps teens and young adults quit vaping.
For more information, contact the Tobacco Control Resource Program by email.
Webpage last updated 5/4/2020.