The HIV, STD and Hepatitis
Branch (HSHB) administers funding from the California Department of
Public Health to provide a range of HIV prevention services. HSHB
contracts with community-based organizations to provide services
focusing on interventions to prevent the spread of HIV
Free prevention services are offered through a variety of
individual, group, and community-level interventions, including:
- Outreach: Face-to-face or online contact with individuals at high risk. This includes referrals to testing and support services as well as distribution of materials to prevent HIV such as condoms, bleach, and educational materials.
- Groups: Single and multi-session groups for high-risk individuals, which provide information, education, support and skills building.
- One-on-Ones: Risk counseling sessions provided in-person or online to one client at a time.
- Partner Services - Assistance to support HIV positive individuals to disclose their HIV status to their partner(s).
- Public Information - Presentations and events where HIV health information is provided to the community such as health fairs. HIV prevention social media and marketing provides HIV prevention health information to the public.
- Training and Technical Assistance: Available to all funded providers of prevention services.
HIV Prevention Contractor Resources
- CA Department of Public Health, Office of AIDS, 2019 Guide to HIV Prevention and Surveillance
HIV Planning Group
The HIV Planning Group (HPG) is an advisory board to the County of San Diego Chief Administrative Officer and Board of Supervisors. This planning body provides input on priorities and strategies for local HIV services.
The STD Prevention Unit collaborates with community-based organizations, schools and clinical service providers to increase awareness of STDs and assist them in incorporating STD prevention into their work. Services include trainings, technical assistance, providing resources, and determining local needs to build knowledge and skills around STD prevention and testing.
To request an STD training or technical assistance, call (619)
Chlamydia Screening Project (ClaSP)
Funded by The California Department of Public Health, STD Control
Branch (STDCB), The Chlamydia Screening Program (ClaSP) enables the
County of San Diego to provide chlamydia and gonorrhea screening and
treatment for females entering local juvenile detention
For more information, phone 619-293-4700 or send us an email.
Last updated December 29 2017.