Perinatal Care Network (PCN)
For more information, call 1-800-675-2229 or send an email.
The Perinatal Care Network (PCN) is a toll-free phone line that links families eligible for pregnancy-related Medi-Cal to care. PCN works to assure that pregnant women obtain early and continuous prenatal care and other services needed during pregnancy.
PCN is part of Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health (MCAH) and is required by the following authorities: Health & Safety Code, Sections 123225-123255 and 123510; California Welfare and Institutions Code, Sections 14148.9-14148.9; U.S. Code of Regulations Title 42, The Public Health and Welfare; and California Code of Regulations Title 17, Public Health.
- Healthy mothers have healthy babies.
- Increase access to and utilization of health, dental, and/or mental healthcare for women and children.
- Increase access to and utilizatio of early and continuous quality prenatal care for pregnant women.
PCN is contracted to 2-1-1 San Diego to provide direct client services countywide. PCN functions as a successful public/private partnership collaborating with prenatal care providers, community organizations, interagency programs, and other health and social service organizations working to provide pregnant women with needed services and resources.
- Assistance in applying for pregnancy-related Medi-Cal or other healthcare coverage.
- Link to prenatal care provider. Providers in the Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) and other private providers and clinics accept patients referred by PCN. Several providers will see a pregnant woman before her Medi-Cal coverage is granted.
- Help scheduling a first prenatal appointment.
- Transportation assistance for prenatal care appointments.
- Link to community services and resources, such as Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), MotherToBaby, and Text4Baby.
- Link to home visiting/family support programs, including: Public Health Nursing, Black Infant Health (BIH), First 5 First Steps, and PCI Healthy Start.
- Follow-up services for pregnant women to ensure that services were obtained.
- Assistance for families needing health coverage and a medical home for baby.
PCN does not share client information without permission. For more information, call 1-800-675-2229.
What Clients Are Saying
- “Answered all of my questions and was very friendly."
- “They were able to answer my questions and provide resources for my medical needs.”
- “With one call, I was able to get Medi-Cal application going and found a doctor for my prenatal care.”
- “Helped me get seen by a doctor – if my friend was having medical problems, I’d recommend.”
Resources and Links
- PCN flyers in English and Spanish.
- Medi-Cal offers assistance for beneficiaries who do not have and cannot get transportation to and from appointments for services covered by Medi-Cal. Click the following link and contact health plan for more information: San Diego Medi-Cal Health Plans Transportation Services.
- The Comprehensive Perinatal Services Program (CPSP) offers a wide range of services for pregnant women on Medi-Cal.
- The Black Infant Health (BIH) program works with African-American pregnant and postpartum women and their families with health and social service needs.
- PCN staff are available to attend community events, health fairs, and can also provide presentations to clinic staff and community organizations. Please call 619-692-8045 for more information.
For more information, call 1-800-675-229 or send an email.
Webpage last updated 12/17/2019