Resources Specific to COVID-19
The San Diego County Farm Bureau developed a directory of San Diego County Farmers and Ranchers who are selling their products directly to consumers.
The San Diego Food System Alliance compiled two resource libraries:
The resources include information for residents, farms and fisheries, food businesses, nonprofits, and food access.
Inputs, Food Production &
- The County of San Diego Agriculture, Weights and Measures gathers information from local farmers and data for their Crop Statistics and Annual Reports.
- Learn agriculture terminology with UC Cooperative Extension San Diego Glossary of Common Terms.
- Visit the California Agricultural Tourism Directory to find a farm or ranch near you.
- Learn about Environmental Farming & Innovation, California & 2018 Farm Bill, the Farmer Equity Report, and more at the California Department of Food and Agriculture website.
- Visit the U.S. Department of Agriculture to see the Census of Agriculture and the 2017 Census of Agriculture San Diego county profile.
- Learn about hydroponics, an innovative and soilless food production system and aquaculture, seafood production in coastal waters.
- Check out Real Food Reads list of over 40 books that explore the intersection of food, politics, and culture.
Food Donation & Reducing Wasted Food
- Learn more about the call to reduce and prevent food loss with the US Food Loss & Waste Policy Action Plan for Congress & the Administration
- Save the Food, San Diego! is a part of a larger campaign from the National Resource Defense Council, which strives to raise awareness about wasted food.
- Learn some tips and tricks on food storage, meal planning, and shopping with the Food Waste 101 webinar.
- The San Diego Regional Food Systems GIS Map shows food recovery sources in the region.
- Learn more reduction strategies at Save the Food.
- The Natural Resources Defense Council's report: Wasted: How America is Losing Up to 40 percent of its Food from Farm to Fork to Landfill.
- Over $200 billion in resources are required to grow, process, and transport food that becomes waste each year. Learn more at ReFED: 27 Solutions to Food Waste.
- ReFED's Scaling Food Recovery and Hunger Relief report provides guidance to the entire food system on how to support innovative food recovery organizations.
- The Global Food Donation Policy Atlas provides the current state of food donation laws and policies along with policy recommendations for strengthening food recovery efforts.