Veterans Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans Services | FAQ



I don’t really have a place to live. Am I considered homeless?

  • If you don’t have a fixed, regular, adequate nighttime residence, then you are considered homeless and may qualify for some assistance for homeless vets.

I’m a veteran and I’m homeless. How can I get help?  

  • We administer the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) also offers other programs. You can contact them at (619) 400-5157; toll free (877) 4AID-VET or their website Ending Veteran Homelessness


I have my voucher, how do I find a place to live?

Payment Standards

What is a payment standard?

  • The payment standard is the maximum amount a family may receive – in our area - when they are participating in the Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program. For families on the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program, there is another payment standard.

Home Buyers and Homeowners

Can I get help to buy a home?

Can I get help to fix my home?

The Housing Repair Loans and Grants Program provides loans or grants for repairs made to owner-occupied homes.

Issues with Your Current Residence

I’m having problems with my current unit and/or landlord.  Where can I get help?

  • If you feel you are being discriminated against in any way, there are Fair Housing resources available.  You can also call 211 for more help.

Security Deposits and First Month's Rent

Can you help me with money for a security deposit/first month’s rent?

  • If you are new to the VASH program, we may be able to help with security and utility deposits.  Talk to your caseworker to see if you qualify.  If you are already on the VASH program or are not receiving any housing assistance, please call 2-1-1 for resources. 

VASH Renewals

I have been discharged from VASH services, but need help again.  Who do I call?

  • You’ll need to contact your case worker at the Veterans Affairs (VA) office.  If you don’t have one, please call the VA office at (619) 400-5157 or go to the VA website Ending Veteran Homelessness