Landlord Incentive Program
participate in programs that are helping Homeless
Individuals, Families and Veterans overcome the challenges of
homelessness and lead independent lives.
According to the 2016 Regional Task Force on the Homeless Point-in-Time-Count in San Diego County, there are 8,692 homeless people in our region. About 3,750 of these individuals are sleeping in emergency shelters or transitional housing. Over half - about 4,900 people - are “unsheltered” - without any type of housing.
The Landlord Incentive Program (LIP) for Homeless Individuals, Families and Veterans provides financial incentives to landlords who rent to homeless participants in housing programs by the County of San Diego. Incentives include leasing bonuses, holding fees, application expense reimbursement, damage claim reimbursement, security deposits, utility assistance, and landlord liaison services.
Incentives may be available for landlords who rent to homeless individuals, families and veterans throughout the greater San Diego region. If your property is in the City of San Diego, please visit: sdhc.org.
Some of the Benefits for Landlords:
- Landlords may receive up to $500 for each unit newly leased to a veteran experiencing homelessness
- Landlords may receive one month' free rent to hold available unitys for Homeless Individuals, Families and Veterans while these applicants are being referred
- Financial assistance of up to $25 may be paid directly to landlords to cover applicant costs, such as credit report and application fees
Damage Claim Reimbursement
- Up to $5,000 is available to reimburse landlords for loss of rent or damage to units in excess of the security deposit
Security Deposit and Utility Assistance
- Up to two months' rent, security deposit $100 in utility assistance
- Dedicated staff will provide individual customer service to our valued landlord partners
- Units must be located in the Housing Authority of the County of San Diego jurisdiction. For more information, visit: www.sdhcd.org
- Units rented to general Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher participants are not eligible for the LIP for Homeless Individuals, Families and Veterans incentives.
- Eligible tenant participants are engaged in supportive services through homeless-focused County of San Diego programs and have been issued a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher from the Housing Authority of the County of San Diego.
- Tenant participants are referred for participation through authorized community partners. General community referrals are not accepted at this time.