Start the New Year Off with a Sustainable Resolution
The start of a new year brings the New Year’s Resolution – a time to continue good practices and set new personal goals for the upcoming year. If you are still working on selecting your 2021 New Year’s Resolution, or looking to add another, consider incorporating sustainability into your daily life. Simple acts can help reduce your carbon footprint and protect natural resources.
And the good news is that collective and individual actions do add up! Everyone, every business, and every entity has a role to play in addressing climate change.
To help you on this journey, here are a few New Year’s Resolutions you can use to live more sustainably.
Ditch the disposable products and go reusable.
- Avoid using single-use bags and make the switch to reusable bags. If you forget your reusable bag at the grocery store, place your items back in the grocery cart to carry out rather than use a plastic or paper bag at check-out. See this useful guide from the County’s Department of Environmental Health on how to keep your reusable grocery bags clean and safe.
- Use a refillable bottle for drinks on the go rather than single-use plastic bottles.
- When ordering take-out or dining on the go, turn down plastic utensils and bring your own reusable utensils.
Eat less meat.
- Reducing how much meat you eat lowers your environmental impact compared to other lifestyle changes. If you are not ready to make the full switch, give Meatless Monday a try. It’s a great way to reduce your meat at least one day a week!
Simplify your wardrobe.
- Declutter your closet by donating unneeded items and when buying new clothes go with sustainable fashion made from organic fabrics.
Reduce your household organic waste and start home composting.
- Reduce the amount of food scraps and yard waste that end up in the landfill by starting a home compost bin.
Use alternative transportation modes more than your single-occupancy vehicle.
Biking, walking, driving an electric vehicle, or riding the bus, trolley, or train are all options that get you to your destination while also minimizing your greenhouse gas emissions. For tips on how to be an active commuter in San Diego, visit iCommute.
Looking for more?
Want to take your sustainable New Year’s Resolution even farther? See
this list for even
more ways to go green this year.
Happy sustainable new year!