Title VI of the Civil Rights Act
Title VI of the Civil Rights Act
The County of San Diego, under Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statutes, ensures that no person in the County of San Diego shall, on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity it administers.
Local Agencies are required to institute and maintain a Title VI Program in accordance with the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and related statutes as required by Title 23 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 200. For information concerning the County’s Title VI Program, or to contact the County Title VI coordinator, visit the Office of Ethics Compliance (OEC) website.
Local Agencies receiving Federal Aid from the federal DOT are required to comply with the below assurances. FHWA format of assurances are listed below, FAA assurances follow a similar format. Title VI assurances also apply to contractors and subcontractors on federal aid contracts.
Title VI Assurances
During the performance of this Agreement, ADMINISTERING AGENCY, for itself, its assignees and successors in interest (hereinafter collectively referred to as ADMINISTERING AGENCY) agrees as follows:
(1) Compliance with Regulations: ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall comply with the regulations relative to nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs of the Department of Transportation, Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 21, as they may be amended from time to time, (hereinafter referred to as the REGULATIONS), which are herein incorporated by reference and made a part of this agreement.
(2) Nondiscrimination: ADMINISTERING AGENCY, with regard to the work performed by it during the AGREEMENT, shall not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, or disability in the selection and retention of sub-applicants, including procurements of materials and leases of equipment. ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall not participate either directly or indirectly in the discrimination prohibited by Section 21.5 of the REGULATIONS, including employment practices when the agreement covers a program set forth in Appendix B of the REGULATIONS.
(3) Solicitations for Sub-agreements, Including Procurements of Materials and Equipment: In all solicitations either by competitive bidding or negotiation made by ADMINISTERING AGENCY for work to be performed under a Sub-agreement, including procurements of materials or leases of equipment, each potential sub-applicant or supplier shall be notified by ADMINISTERING AGENCY of the ADMINISTERING AGENCY's obligations under this Agreement and the REGULATIONS relative to nondiscrimination on the grounds of race, color, or national origin.
(4) Information and Reports: ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall provide all information and reports required by the REGULATIONS, or directives issued pursuant thereto, and shall permit access to ADMINISTERING AGENCY's books, records, accounts, other sources of information, and its facilities as may be determined by STATE or FHWA to be pertinent to ascertain compliance with such REGULATIONS or directives. Where any information required of ADMINISTERING AGENCY is in the exclusive possession of another who fails or refuses to furnish this information, ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall so certify to STATE or the FHWA as appropriate, and shall set forth what efforts ADMINISTERING AGENCY has made to obtain the information.
(5) Sanctions for Noncompliance: In the event of ADMINISTERING AGENCY's noncompliance with the nondiscrimination provisions of this agreement, STATE shall impose such agreement sanctions as it or the FHWA may determine to be appropriate, including, but not limited to:
(a) withholding of payments to ADMINISTERING AGENCY under the Agreement within a reasonable period of time, not to exceed 90 days; and/or
(b) cancellation, termination or suspension of the Agreement, in whole or in part.
(6) Incorporation of Provisions: ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall include the provisions of paragraphs (1) through (6) in every sub-agreement, including procurements of materials and leases of equipment, unless exempt by the REGULATIONS, or directives issued pursuant thereto.
ADMINISTERING AGENCY shall take such action with respect to any sub-agreement or procurement as STATE or FHWA may direct as a means of enforcing such provisions including sanctions for noncompliance, provided, however, that, in the event ADMINISTERING AGENCY becomes involved in, or is threatened with, litigation with a sub-applicant or supplier as a result of such direction, ADMINISTERING AGENCY may request STATE enter into such litigation to protect the interests of STATE, and, in addition, ADMINISTERING AGENCY may request the United States to enter into such litigation to protect the interests of the United States.