Frequently Asked Questions



Expand All | Collapse All



Expand All | Collapse All



Expand All | Collapse All



Expand All | Collapse All



Add values in dialog



Expand All | Collapse All

  • What are those charges on my property tax bill listed under Fixed Charge Assessments?

    They are special assessments that are direct charges against property which are included in the total amount of your tax bill but are not based on the Assessor’s valuation of your property. These charges fund services that are not normally paid for by general taxes. A charge to maintain a road that benefits your property through a Permanent Road Division (PRD) Zone is an example of this type of assessment. For each assessment, you may get additional information on the service provided by calling the phone number next to the fixed charge on your tax bill.

  • What exactly is a PRD Zone?

    A Permanent Road Division (PRD) Zone is a special assessment district established at the request of property owners with a common road related need in a specific area. California law allows counties to establish these districts to provide for maintenance of roads that are not in the County maintained system and not funded by general gas tax. PRD Zone property owners must pay all costs associated with these districts, including formation, maintenance and administrative costs.

  • How can I get more information regarding special assessment districts?

    For more information regarding DPW services funded by special assessments, please visit our website at: You may also call us at 858-694-2691.



Expand All | Collapse All

  • How can I get a street light repaired?

    If the streetlight is in the unincorporated area of San Diego County, call the streetlight hotline at: (858) 694-3850. If the light is in an incorporated city, call the appropriate city.

  • Where do I get information about bus routes and Para-transit?

    Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and North County Transit District (NCTD) operate transit services in the unincorporated County. Please call 511 or visit the website for transit information.

  • Can I get people to drive slower on my street?

    Contact the County’s Residential Traffic Program at (858) 694-3850.

  • How do I get the speed limit reviewed or other regulatory devices, such as stop signs, installed?

    Contact the County’s Traffic Engineering Section at (858) 694-3850.

  • How do I adopt a road?

    Contact the County's Adopt-A-Road program at (858) 694-3850.

  • How do I report missing or damaged signs?

    County forces maintain traffic signs, like speed limit signs, stop signs, warning signs, etc., and street name signs on County maintained roads. To report a missing or damaged sign, call (858) 694-3850 Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

  • How do I request maintenance, such as sweeping or pothole repair, on my road?

    If your road is in the County Maintained System, DPW can provide maintenance. Call the toll-free Pothole Hotline 1-877-684-8000. Staff will determine if your road is in the maintained system and refer you appropriately.

  • What is a "Z" Road?

    Historically, "Z" Roads were shown on the 1951 CalTrans state-wide highway planning survey maps.  "Z" Roads were unimproved private roads or trails over which the public may have prescriptive rights but over which no legal right-of-way (public road status) has been established. Whether or not prescriptive rights are available on this roadway is a question only the courts can decide. "Z" roads are not a part of the County Maintained Road System and DPW has no responsibility for them. 

  • Why are there private roads listed in the San Diego County Roads Network?

    Private roads may be listed in the County Maintained Roads database to specify the location of various traffic markings or only listed for reference. Many private roads do not meet the minimum standards to be accepted into the County system of publicly maintained roads and shall remain privately owned and maintained until dedications of right-of-way are granted and accepted by the County.

  • How do I make a request for a Community Sign or Banner in the Road Right-of-Way?

    Community oriented signs and banners in the right-of-way can welcome travelers, help motorists find services, locate local points of interest, provide directional guidance, and enhance community character. In an applicant driven process, interested parties will work with community groups on the initial concept then apply for a Site Plan Permit and associated Encroachment/Construction permits. Sign types include Community Identification Signs, Community Information Signs, Directional Way Finding Signs, Neighborhood and Business Watch Signs and Community Event Banners Community Signs & Banners Website:



Expand All | Collapse All