Special Events Permit
A DPW Special Event permit is required if an event fits any of the following:
a) The public road is closed for a parade, street fair, festival, or other similar activity. This would include use of the road for event support such as parking or equipment staging.
b) The public road is used to conduct an organized athletic event such as a bicycle ride/race or a running/walk event.
c) The proposed event will or has the potential to impact the normal operation of the roadway. This can include the use of traffic control staff to direct traffic in and/or out of the event site or installing temporary traffic control devices in the County right-of-way.
d) The public road is closed to conduct a Neighborhood Block Party.
Special Event Permits are limited to non-profit applicants and are processed by the Traffic Engineering Section. If you would like to apply for a permit, please submit an application (click here) to:
County of San Diego
DPW Traffic Engineering Section
Special Event Permits
5510 Overland Ave, Suite 410 (MS 0332)
San Diego, CA 92123-1239
Phone (858) 694-3866 – Dan Mappala (Special Event Permit Coordinator)
Fax (858) 694-3928
Per County ordinance, the application package should be submitted no less than 30 days prior to the event but no more than 180 days.
Special Events Ordinance Update
The County is in the process of updating the ordinance for Special Events in the right-of-way.
- The current ordinance was established in 1965 and last amended in 1988.
- The original purpose of the ordinance was to promote parades.
- There has been an evolution in the types and sizes of events within communities.
- There have been more athletic events than parades.
- Modern events impact the ability of residents to access homes, businesses, and roads.
- The current ordinance does not establish appropriate submittal timelines for reviews.
Ordinance update will:
- Include events that the current ordinance does not address (i.e. bicycle events, 5K runs).
- Define the process for obtaining permits.
- Define community outreach requirements.
- Establish appropriate deadlines for advance application submittals.
Draft Special Events Ordinance (click here)
Draft Permit and Equipment Rental Costs (click here)
Environmental Questionnaire (click here)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (click here)
There will be a public workshop on Thursday, March 19, 2020 from 2:00pm-3:00pm (5510 Overland Ave, 2nd Floor Rm 271) to discuss the updates and address any concerns.