Committee for Persons with Disabilities
The Board of Supervisors of the County of San Diego declares that it is the policy of the County to take action to identify needs and problems of persons with disabilities in the County that are affected by public policy decisions, and furthermore, to safeguard against discrimination and prejudice on the basis of disability.
The major principles guiding committee work shall be to assure the self-determination of the disabled individual; provide persons with disabilities with the resources and educational services necessary to enable them to achieve their fullest potential; and to provide them with an equal opportunity to participate fully in the social and economic benefits of our society.
The Committee for Persons with Disabilities shall have the responsibility to:
- Study and evaluate County Charter provisions, Ordinances, policies and proposed policies, to determine their implication for persons with disabilities.
- Study areas of concern as they
pertain to the lives and needs of persons with disabilities. These
may include, but are not limited to:
- Coordination of Client Support Systems
- Architectural Barriers Safety Related Matters
- Conduct workshops for County personnel and/or community groups.
- Participate in the conduct of public hearings dealing with matters related to persons with disabilities.
- Utilize County resources and facilities to accumulate information for the purpose of furthering the objectives of this Committee.
- Prepare and disseminate information of matters related to discrimination and prejudice.
- Formulate programs or legislation to promote and insure independence, equal rights and opportunities for all persons with disabilities.
- Provide liaison and assistance to County or citizen groups interested in the problems facing persons with disabilities.
- Initiate application for grants from all levels of government and private sources for carrying out the purposes of the Committee.
- Serve as the County's advisory committee of Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and related rehabilitation matters. (Amended by Ordinance 8988, adopted on 12/15/98 (41)
Governance and Policies
Beginning in August 2023, the Committee for Persons with Disabilities meets monthly at 3pm on the third Wednesday of the month at the following location:
County Administrative Center
1600 Pacific Highway, Room 302
San Diego, CA 92101
Alternatively, guests may participate in the meetings via the below Zoom link or teleconference.
1. Join Zoom Meeting
2. One tap mobile: +14086380968,,82997774664#
3. Call 408-638-0968 and enter Meeting ID 829 9777 4664 when prompted
To request assistance accessing the meeting, please contact Katie McKnight at Katie.McKnight@sdcounty.ca.gov.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
December 20, 2023
November 15, 2023
October 18, 2023
September 20, 2023 - Meeting cancelled due to no quorum.
August 16, 2023 - Meeting cancelled due to no quorum.
July 20, 2023
June 28, 2023
May 24, 2023 - Meeting cancelled due to no quorum.
April 14, 2023
March 10, 2023
February 10, 2023
January 13, 2023
December 9, 2022
November 10, 2022 - Special Meeting - This meeting has been cancelled.
November 4, 2022
October 14, 2022
September 9, 2022
August 12, 2022
July 29, 2022 - Special Meeting
July 8, 2022
June 10, 2022
May 20, 2022 - Special Meeting
May 13, 2022
April 8, 2022
March 11, 2022
February 11, 2022
January 14, 2022
December 17, 2021
November 12, 2021
October 8, 2021
September 10, 2021
August 13, 2021
July 9, 2021
June 11, 2021 – This meeting has been cancelled.
May 14, 2021
April 9, 2021
The agendas and minutes are in Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader