Committee for Persons with Disabilities
The Board of Supervisors of the County of San Diego declares that it is the policy of the County to take action to identify needs and problems of persons with disabilities in the County that are affected by public policy decisions, and furthermore, to safeguard against discrimination and prejudice on the basis of disability.
The major principles guiding committee work shall be to assure the self-determination of the disabled individual; provide persons with disabilities with the resources and educational services necessary to enable them to achieve their fullest potential; and to provide them with an equal opportunity to participate fully in the social and economic benefits of our society.
The Committee for Persons with Disabilities shall have the responsibility to:
- Study and evaluate County Charter provisions, Ordinances, policies and proposed policies, to determine their implication for persons with disabilities.
- Study areas of concern as they
pertain to the lives and needs of persons with disabilities. These
may include, but are not limited to:
- Coordination of Client Support Systems
- Architectural Barriers Safety Related Matters
- Conduct workshops for County personnel and/or community groups.
- Participate in the conduct of public hearings dealing with matters related to persons with disabilities.
- Utilize County resources and facilities to accumulate information for the purpose of furthering the objectives of this Committee.
- Prepare and disseminate information of matters related to discrimination and prejudice.
- Formulate programs or legislation to promote and insure independence, equal rights and opportunities for all persons with disabilities.
- Provide liaison and assistance to County or citizen groups interested in the problems facing persons with disabilities.
- Initiate application for grants from all levels of government and private sources for carrying out the purposes of the Committee.
- Serve as the County's advisory committee of Section 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and related rehabilitation matters. (Amended by Ordinance 8988, adopted on 12/15/98 (41)
The Committee for Persons with Disabilities meets monthly at 2pm on the second Friday of the month.
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) public health emergency, the County of San Diego Committee for Persons with Disabilities has made several changes to its public meetings to protect the public's health and prevent the disease from spreading. You may participate in the meetings via the below Zoom link or teleconference, until meetings are changed back to in-person.
2. Call (669) 900-6833 and enter Meeting ID 931 8217 7622 when prompted
a. Passcode: 776645
To request assistance accessing the meeting, please contact Katie McKnight at Katie.McKnight@sdcounty.ca.gov.
2021 Future Meeting Dates:
October 8, 2021
November 12, 2021
December 10, 2021
September 10, 2021
August 13, 2021
July 9, 2021
June 11, 2021 – This meeting has been cancelled.
May 14, 2021
April 9, 2021
The agendas and minutes are in Adobe Acrobat Reader format. Click here to download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader