Frequently Asked Questions

Home Buyers & Homeowners | FAQ


Home Repair

What help can I get through the Housing Repair Loans and Grants Program?

  • The program generally addresses health and safety items, including roof repair and heating, electrical, or plumbing systems.
  • A low-interest, deferred loan can be used to repair single-family homes or a grant is used for mobile home repair in eligible areas of the county.

What are areas are eligible for the housing repair program?

  • It is available in the unincorporated areas of San Diego County, and the cities of Del Mar, Imperial Beach, Lemon Grove, Poway and Solana Beach.

What are the requirements for the housing repair program?

  • To get home repair assistance under this program you, the homeowner, must live in the house or mobile home, and have a household income below 80 percent of the San Diego County Area Median Income.
  • You may be able to receive a low-interest deferred loan of up to $25,000 for a single-family residence and up to a $12,000 grant for a mobile home.
  • Deferred loans have a 3 percent simple interest term. 
  • The original amount of the loan and all accrued interest is due and payable when your home changes title through sale, transfer, death or when you no longer live in the home, or in 30 years, whichever comes first.

How do I apply for the housing repair program?

  • Please call (858) 694-4847

Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance

What is the Down Payment and Closing Cost Assistance Program?

  • There are deferred payment loans available for low-income, first time buyers through this program.
  • Participants must contribute a minimum of 1 percent of the home purchase price.
  • To participate in the program, you must get a first-trust deed loan approval from one of the mortgage lenders on this pre-approved lender list.
  • For more information, please contact the San Diego Housing Commission First-time Homebuyer team at

Saving Money

Do you have any more information on saving money at home?

Section 8 Properties

What happens if the house you buy has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher renter?

  • The seller must notify the Housing Authority before the home is sold.
  • The contract and lease may terminate when the home is sold.