Rain Barrel Information
Harvesting rainwater helps conserve water and protect our waterways from polluted runoff!
Did You Know?
One inch of rain falling on a 1,000 square foot roof can harvest 600 gallons of rainwater
By implementing a rain barrel system, you can:
- Reduce water pollution as a result of rainwater runoff which carries pesticides, fertilizers, sediment, oil, and trash into local rivers and lakes.
- Reduce soil erosion and improve the ability of water to infiltrate the soil at a reduced intensity.
- Reduce dependency on the municipal water supply and see a cost savings on your water bill.
- Treat your garden, plants, and lawn to clean and free rainwater and help save energy by reducing demand on our drinking water supply!
County of San Diego Rain Barrel Discount
(Available for unincorporated residents only)
If you are a resident of an unincorporated area of San Diego, you are eligible for a limited, supplemental discount when you purchase a rain barrel through a County-sponsored event. For a list of upcoming events where you can pre-order your rain barrel(s), visit Solana Center for Environmental Innovation. When purchasing your rain barrel(s), please select the button that says “Unincorporated” and your discount will be applied upon checkout.
Recipient must be an unincorporated resident.
Discount is limited to 2 barrels per unincorporated household.
Discount is limited to the first 200 barrels purchased.
Regional Rebate Program
(Separate from County of San Diego's discount program)
Additional rain barrel rebates may be available through the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California. To see if you qualify, visit www.SoCalWaterSmart.com
If you live in an incorporated area, please check with your local jurisdiction for rebates that may be available to you.
Forms & Resources:
- Rain Barrel Resource document (New 2013)
- Rain Barrel Fact Sheet
- Rain Barrel & Mosquitoes Fact Sheet (Nov. 2013)
- Do-it-yourself: How to Make a Rain Barrel
For questions, contact the Watershed Protection Program for more information at email@example.com