Immunization Resources TK/K-12 School Staff
California school immunization laws require students attending public or private elementary and secondary schools, grades TK/K-12, to meet certain immunization requirements before starting school. Schools are required to enforce immunization requirements, maintain immunization records, and submit reports.
Help your students get the vaccines they need for school. Here you
will find information and resources for students and staff to make
sure your school is compliant with California immunization
California immunization laws require TK/K-12 students to show proof of immunizations before starting school. These laws apply to children in both in-person and remote learning environments. Additional vaccines are needed for advancement to 7th grade (or for all grades for newly admitted students.)
New COVID-19 vaccine or testing requirements are also in place for school staff and volunteers working at TK/K-12 school sites as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Below is a breakdown of immunization requirements for children, staff, and volunteers.
Students in grades TK/K-12 are required to show proof of the following vaccines:
Use the California Immunization Requirements for K-12th Grade* handout to review and verify required vaccines for students at your school.
*Parent-friendly versions are available on our Parents and Guardians Resource page in multiple languages to handout and promote required vaccines.
The following additional vaccines are required for students advancing to 7th grade (or for students of any grade that are newly admitted, including students from out of state.)
Use the Ready for 7th Grade handout to provide information about immunization requirements for 7th grade advancement
- ¿Listo para el 7° grado? (Spanish)
In order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in TK/K-12 schools, the
state of California is mandating public health measures for school
staff and volunteers. This mandate applies to public and private
schools serving students in TK/K-12 grade, but does not apply to home
According to the State Public Health Officer Order—Vaccine Verification for Workers in Schools (8/11/21) TK/K-12 school staff and volunteers are required to:
- Show proof that they are fully vaccinated (two or more weeks from the date you received your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine) OR
- Comply with weekly COVID-19 testing requirements
The San Diego Immunization Program provides FREE trainings related to
state-mandated immunization requirements. All trainings are tailored
specifically for staff in K-12 schools and pre-kindergarten
Trainings intended for all school staff who transcribe and review immunization records, including:
- School Nurses
- Health Technicians
- School Administrators
- School Registrars
- Health IT Staff
Health care providers and social service staff are also welcomed to attend the trainings.
The following webpage provides a step-by-step guide to help staff verify and document student immunization status. Each step includes resources, handouts, and job aids needed to assist with enforcing immunization requirements, maintaining immunization records, and submitting reports.
Additional information can also be found in the California Immunization Handbook.
County of San Diego
- Vaccines for All Ages and Stages—Learn more about which vaccines are recommended at different stages in life.
- School Vaccine Information for Parents and Guardians
- Immunization Material Request—Request immunization materials for your site, including posters, handouts, and California School Immunization Records (blue cards).
- Reportable Diseases and Conditions —Information on disease reporting requirements in San Diego County.
- K-12 Schools Sector—Information and resources to support school staff, students, and families.
Diego Immunization Coalition (SDIC)
- Shots for School
- Regulation FAQs and Immunization Requirements Updates—Changes made in immunization laws and policies from 2019.
- Shots for School
One Stop Shop for Immunization Training and Resources
- California Immunization Handbook (2021)—A guide on pre-kindergarten (child care) and school immunization requirements for programs and schools. Includes information on immunization requirements, conditional admission, documenting immunization records, and reporting.
- Vaccine Acronyms & Abbreviations for Child Care and Schools
- Vaccine Catch-up for School—Catch-up schedule to help track upcoming vaccine doses for students ages 7 or older that do not have an immunization record or are behind on their vaccines.
For more information or to request
contact the San Diego Immunization Unit via e-mail or call us at (866) 358-2966.