The County of San Diego Code Compliance Division ensures that noise originating from private property within the unincorporated region of the County meets the requirements set forth by the Noise Ordinance. The types of noise that the County investigates are as follows:
- Noise resulting from animals such as dogs, roosters, etc.
- Excessive noise from business operations such as generators and air compressors (does not include loud radios/yelling)
- Operating before 7 a.m. or after 7pm, Monday – Saturday
- Operating on a Sunday or a Holiday
- Excessive noise between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
- Noise resulting from the usage of ATV’s and dirt bikes
Nuisance noise falls within the Sheriff’s jurisdiction of enforcement. If you are experiencing any of the noises below, please contact the business line of the substation for your local Sheriff’s Department:
- Loud music (live bands/DJs or amplified music)
- Loud vehicles driving by or revving engines
- Noise associated from short term rental (AirBnB or VBRO)
- Apartment noise (loud TVs, neighbors walking upstairs, fights, etc.)
Filing a Noise Complaint
If you wish to file a noise complaint for the unincorporated areas of San Diego County, please call the Code Compliance Call Center (858) 694-2705 or e-mail PDS.CodeCompliance@sdcounty.ca.gov and include the following information:
- Type of noise (dogs, roosters, generators, etc), how long the noise has been occurring, and how often you experience the sound. Example: Dog barking every weekday from 5-6 p.m. for the past month.
- Your name, physical and mailing address, and telephone number or e-mail address. All information is kept confidential; however, we cannot accept anonymous complaints.
- The address or a detailed description of the location of the problem property. If the property is located on a corner, please indicate which directional corner (North, South, East, West, etc).
Other Code Compliance Pages
Please see the Code Compliance pages below for detailed information about the division.