Welcome to Project Planning. We are the PDS Division that reviews “discretionary” projects. Those are projects that builders and homeowners cannot do “by right,” but which may be approved by PDS’s Director, the Zoning Administrator, the Planning Commission or the Board of Supervisors if the projects meet certain conditions. Discretionary projects include lot splits, major subdivisions and conditionally-permitted uses. We also process applicants' requests for General Plan Amendments and Zoning changes.
Use the Discretionary Permit Cost Guide to get an idea of how much the County portion of your project may cost.
You can also use the online Initial Study Research Report to obtain preliminary parcel development & environmental information for properties located within unincorporated San Diego County. The report also includes detailed property maps, General Plan and Zoning Information.
Here are some important Division links:
- General Plan Amendment Batching Information
- CEQA Consultants List
- Conditions of Approval Manual
- Current Projects
- Customer Newsletter
- Discretionary Permits and Application Forms
- Discretionary Projects: How Much They Cost, How Much Time They Take
- Environmental Impact Report Guidelines
- Fee Schedule
- Historic Site Board
- Inactive Case Board Policy
- Inactive Case FAQs
- Permit Process Guidance
- CEQA Consultant Resources
- CEQA Consultant List Application Information
- Project Issue Resolution Form
- Research Discretionary Projects
- Trust Accounts (Developer Deposits)