NEW! The Project Issue Resolution (PIR) Conference is back!
After listening to feedback from customers and applicants, the County is providing opportunities to meet with our Executive Management team. A Project Issue Resolution Conference is a meeting that includes an applicant, our Executive Management team, and County Project Staff to discuss issues and identify solutions that were not able to be resolved with a County Project Manager due to interpretations of a code or other unique circumstances related to a project. Please Click Here for more information.
Welcome to Project Planning. We are the PDS Division that reviews “discretionary” projects. Those are projects that builders and homeowners cannot do “by right,” but which may be approved by PDS’s Director, the Zoning Administrator, the Planning Commission or the Board of Supervisors if the projects meet certain conditions. Discretionary projects include lot splits, major subdivisions and conditionally-permitted uses. We also process applicants' requests for General Plan Amendments and Zoning changes.
Use the Discretionary Permit Cost Guide to get an idea of how much the County portion of your project may cost.
You can also use the online Initial Study Research Report to obtain preliminary parcel development & environmental information for properties located within unincorporated San Diego County. The report also includes detailed property maps, General Plan and Zoning Information.
Here are some important Division links:
- SB 743/Vehicle Miles Traveled Traffic Study Guide Information
- General Plan Amendment Batching Information
- CEQA Consultants List
- Conditions of Approval Manual
- Current Projects
- Discretionary Permits and Application Forms
- Fee Schedule
- Historic Site Board
- Inactive Case Board Policy
- Inactive Case FAQs
- Permit Process Guidance
- Project Issue Resolution Conference
- CEQA Consultant Resources
- CEQA Consultant List Application Information
- Research Discretionary Projects (Accela Citizen Access)
- Trust Accounts (Developer Deposits)