County of San Diego
COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The County’s 2021 Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) helps eligible households in qualifying areas who have been financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides payment assistance for renters who need help with rent and utilities.
The County will serve individuals and families countywide except for those in the cities of San Diego and Chula Vista. Residents of the cities of San Diego and Chula Vista can visit ERAPSanDiego.org for information about rental assistance in their area.
The County will prioritize application selection based on the following:
- Household income at or below 50% Area Median Income (AMI)
- One or more household members are unemployed as of the date of the application for assistance and have not been employed for the 90 day period before such date (household income must not be above 80% AMI)
- Single-parent households
- Health Equity (using the lowest two quartiles of the Healthy Places Index or HPI to prioritize)-Residents who live in areas that have less access to healthy opportunities. Information about the Healthy Places Index can be found at healthyplaces.org. View County of San Diego map with HPI by City and Zip Code.
To be eligible for the program, households must meet all of the following criteria:
- HCDS will serve individuals and families residing in the unincorporated areas of San Diego and the cities of: Carlsbad, Coronado, Del Mar, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, National City, Oceanside, Poway, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach, and Vista
- Household income must fall at or below 80% AMI
- Household must have an obligation to pay rent
- Households must have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a financial hardship directly or indirectly related to COVID-19.
- Household is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
Other Eligibility Notes:
- Households currently receiving rental subsidies such as Section 8, rapid rehousing assistance, or rental assistance from non-profit agencies may apply. The household must certify that the ERAP assistance requested does not duplicate any other assistance, including federal, state, or local assistance provided for the same costs. Duplication of assistance is subject to County verification.
- Only one application per residence will be permitted.
Emergency Rent and Utility Assistance:
- ERAP will provide payment assistance for renters behind on rent and utilities. Financial assistance for arrears can be from April 2020 to March 2021, up to twelve months.
- If the landlord accepts participation in the program, the County will compensate 80% of an eligible household’s rental arrears accumulated from April 2020 to March 2021. The landlord must agree to accept the 80% payment as payment in full of the rental debt owed by the tenant, which means the landlord forgives the remaining debt. The rental arrears will be paid directly to the landlord.
- The landlord does not have to participate in the program. If the landlord declines participation in the program, the County can compensate 25% of the eligible household’s monthly rental arrears accumulated from April 2020 to March 2021. In this situation, payment of rental arrears can be paid directly to the tenant.
- To be eligible, the combined income of all persons in the household must fall at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI). Please see AMI chart below.
Number of People in Household
Income equal to or less than the following (80% AMI):
For questions about your application please call (858) 694-4801.
Flyers and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you applied for any of the previous rounds of ERAP, see information below.
If you created an account on the Applicant
Portal and applied
before October 9, 2020, you can log into your account
at ERAP Application
Portal to check on the status of your application.
If you created an account on the Applicant Portal and applied after November 30, 2020, you can log into your account at ERAP Application Portal to check on the status of your application.
This page will be updated as new information becomes available, check back here for updates!