Rental Assistance Options
Need Help Right Away?
If you are homeless or concerned
that you will be homeless soon,
please call 2-1-1 or go to the website: 211 San Diego.
Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV)
- The Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher programs help qualified families get rental assistance.
- Apply for rental assistance. If you need special help to fill out the application, please call (858) 694-4801 or toll free (877) 478-LIST.
- After you fill out the application, your name will be placed on the waiting list. It may be 10 or more years before your name gets to the top of the list.
Who Qualifies for Rental Assistance?
- Do you make less than 50 percent of area median income? Please see San Diego County Area Median Income.
- At least 75 percent of those who use Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers must be extremely low income, earning only 30 percent of our Area Median Income.
Where Do You Live?
The Housing Authority of the County of San Diego (HACSD) serves the unincorporated areas of San Diego County and the cities of Chula Vista, Coronado, Del Mar, El Cajon, Escondido, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Poway, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach, and Vista. See the complete list of cities and communities served by our Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance program.
Areas NOT Covered by Us
If you live outside of the above areas, there are five other Housing Authorities in San Diego County. Contact the one for your city:
The San Diego Housing Commission serving the City of San Diego
City Housing Programs
In addition, each of the 18 cities within San Diego County has affordable housing programs. Click on the city name in this chart to see that city's housing program.
- Highest priority goes to those who live or work in our
jurisdiction AND have one of the following:
- Dependent children
- Elderly person (head of household or spouse is 62 years of age or older)
- Disabled person (head of household or spouse is disabled)
- Veteran or surviving spouse of veteran (other than dishonorable discharge)
- Working applicant (Must have worked at least 32-plus hours per week for the previous 12 months). You may combine job training or an academic program as part of the previous 12-month requirement.
- Apply for rental assistance to get on the HACSD waiting list
- If you require specific accommodations to complete the application, please contact our office at (858) 694-4801 or (877) 478-LIST.
Are There Other Programs?
Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA)
- The Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) program provides housing to low-income people living with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS).
- If you or a family member have AIDS or HIV, you may want to apply for rental assistance. On the first page of the application, there are several boxes listing different rental assistance programs, including Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA).
Moderate Rehabilitation Program
- The Moderate Rehabilitation program offers 94 privately-owned rental units in El Cajon and Lakeside for low-income families.
- If a unit becomes available, an applicant's name is selected from the waiting list and referred to the landlord for screening and selection.
- If the landlord determines your household meets selection requirements, we will then determine if you are eligible for this program.
- The Public Housing program is similar to Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance, but the rental units are owned and managed by the Housing Authority of the County of San Diego and its contractors.
Project-Based Vouchers (PBV)
- There are Section 8 Housing Choice Vouchers that can be used only at certain housing complexes. This rental assistance is attached to the building. These are called Project-Based Vouchers (PBV).
- These vouchers target special needs populations and are distributed in limited numbers based on available funding.
- Existing PBVs are located in the Pine View apartments in Fallbrook, Vista Terrace and Grove developments in Vista, Schmale Family Senior Residence in Ramona, and Villa de Vida development in Poway.
- The Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program provides rental assistance to qualified homeless veterans. This is a partnership between the federal departments of Veterans Affairs and Housing and Urban Development.
Already Receiving Help With Your Rent?
- If you already receive Section 8 rental assistance, please see these Important Updates.
- If you already receive rental assistance, but want to move to or move out of the San Diego county area we serve, please see. Port Out/Port-In Procedures.
Tips for Renters
- The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) website provides A Renter's Guide: Ten Tips for Tenants
- If you qualify for help with housing costs, you may use this Rental Assistance Calculation to get an idea of what you may receive. Your actual aid may be different. There is a maximum amount of rental assistance a family may receive and it is called the Voucher Payment Standard. These payment standards are determined by fair market rent in our region and funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- For more information on the policies and plans of the Housing Authority of the County of San Diego, see our Agency Plans.
You have rights and responsibilities when the home you rent goes into foreclosure.
Other Resources for Low-Income Families
- Do your children need health insurance? Contact the County San Diego Kids Health Assurance Network (800) 675-2229 or www.sdkhan.org.
- Need help with grocery bills? CalFresh is also known as Food Stamps or the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
- The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance program (LIHEAP) helps eligible families meet the costs of home energy. Additional energy saving suggestions are available at Energy Savings.
- Everyone has a right to fair housing. Learn more: Fair Housing.
Please Tell Us How We're Doing...
How are we at County Housing and Community Development Services doing? Please let us know by completing our confidential online survey.