Already Receiving Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Assistance?
Please see these important updates for Section 8 HCV
Effective July 1, 2019, new subsidy standards will be based on one bedroom for each two household members, including permanent foster children/adults, regardless of sex, age or relationship. A live-in aid is entitled to a separate bedroom. For households receiving an additional bedroom as a reasonable accommodation, the bedroom will be added to the new subsidy standard. For current families leasing a unit under the previous subsidy standards, the new subsidy standard will become effective at the first recertification following a 12-month notice unless the family moves to another unit or has a change in the family size.
If you are looking for a new rental unit, see GoSection8.com for a list of private properties owned by landlords willing to participate in the rental assistance programs. You are not restricted to the units on this list. You may also look for other units on your own.
The rights and responsibilities for participants of the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program can be found in the Family Handbook.
Your unit must pass a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection before you move in and the unit may be inspected again about every two years. Learn more about your inspection.
You must report all changes in your status to us.
Moving to Our Area or Outside Our Area?
Are you considering a move to our area? Or outside our area? We have important information about moving. It is called portability. If you already receive Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance and want to move to the San Diego region, it is called porting in. If you already receive rental assistance and want to move out of our region, it is called porting out.
What Happens if your Rental Unit is Sold or Goes into Foreclosure?
- The Housing Authority of the County of San Diego will host a Resident Advisory Board meeting on Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. All current San Diego County Public Housing residents and participants of the San Diego County’s Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) program are cordially invited to attend. The meeting will be held at the Housing and Community Development Services building located at 3989 Ruffin Road, San Diego, CA 92123. At this meeting, we will be discussing the draft Public Housing Agency Plan and proposed changes to the programs we administer. We will also be discussing some of the new state laws affecting tenants and providing information about how you can be more involved in the Resident Advisory Board. Agenda
- Are you interested in a program that helps Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher participants continue their educational and career goals? Our Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program may be what you are looking for.
- If you are in a house or apartment built before 1978 and you have children living with you who are under the age of six, you should know about the hazards of childhood lead poisoning.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Consumer Product Safety Commission and Housing and Urban Development have created a pamphlet about lead in the home.
- Energy saving programs, bill payment assistance, and rebates are available through SDG&E and your local water authority. Learn more by visiting our Energy Savings web page.