Family Self-Sufficiency Program
What is the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)?
It is a program to help Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher renters continue their educational and career goals.
You can seek training or education that will help you get a job or improve your performance at your current job.
We, at the Housing Authority of the County of San Diego (HACSD), will provide a variety of resources to help you meet your goals.
As FSS participants increase their earned income, HACSD reduces the amount of housing assistance payments sent to landlords. The savings is deposited into an escrow account which is available to FSS participants after their goals are met.
If you currently receive Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance and are interested in our FSS program, please send an email to HCDSFSS.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov
If you are accepted into the program, you will be asked to sign a contract of participation that outlines your rights, responsibilities and the steps you can take to become self-sufficient.
- The contract is for five years, although not everyone will need the full five years.
- As you progress, you will give us updates as you advance toward your goals.
- We will help you figure out if there are barriers making it difficult to meet your goals. We will refer you to available community resources.
- FSS offers scholarship programs for current participants and household members who will attend college, university, technical or vocational school in the fall or spring of each year. To be considered for a scholarship, you may call (858)694-8703.
FSS Provides Opportunities
- Looking for work? Your local Career Center will tell you about job search workshops, give you access to computers, information and referrals to training programs and much more.
- Basic money skills and financial trainings are available in English or Spanish from the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) where you may also receive a free CD of the Money Smart program.
- Do you want to do a better job with your household budget? Do you need some credit counseling or education? Want to attend a first-time home-buyer class? Money Management International Credit Counseling Services can help. They offer services by phone, over the internet, in their office or in a classroom.
- If you worked last year you may be eligible for an Earned Income Tax Credit. You may also get help filling out your tax forms.
- Need help with something else? Dial 2-1-1 or visit their website 211sandiego.org. They have information on just about anything you need.
If you have questions, please email
Another Success Story...
Veronica, seen here holding her FSS certificate, is a successful graduate of our program. She now works full time for the Sweetwater Union High School District.
A single mother of two, Veronica’s goals were to find full-time work and to get off cash assistance programs.
She did it!
Veronica finished her college degree and earned her teaching certificate. She also went to workshops that taught her how to improve her budgeting and to better understand finances. Her hard work and desire paid off.
“When you sign a contract, you don’t just walk away,” she said. “You stay committed.”