County of San Diego
COVID-19 Emergency Rent and Utilities Assistance Program
The County’s 2021 Emergency Rent and Utilities Assistance Program
(ERAP) helps eligible households in qualifying areas who have been
financially impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic. The program provides
payment assistance for renters who need help with rent and
utilities. Applications will be accepted until funds are no longer
To apply over the phone or for assistance: Call (858) 694-4801
- Documents can be provided after submitting application
- ERAP will provide payment assistance for renters behind on rent and utilities. The County will now pay 100 percent of unpaid and future rent to landlords and tenants.
- FAQ updates coming soon.
The County will prioritize application selection based on the following:
- Household income at or below 50% Area Median Income (AMI)
- One or more household members are unemployed as of the date of the application for assistance and have not been employed for the 90 day period before such date (household income must not be above 80% AMI)
- Single-parent households
- Health Equity (using the lowest two quartiles of the Healthy Places Index or HPI to prioritize)-Residents who live in areas that have less access to healthy opportunities. Information about the Healthy Places Index can be found at healthyplaces.org. View County of San Diego map with HPI by City and Zip Code.
To be eligible for the program, households must meet all of the following criteria:
- HCDS will serve individuals and families residing in the unincorporated areas of San Diego and the cities of: Carlsbad, Coronado, Del Mar, El Cajon, Encinitas, Escondido, Imperial Beach, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, National City, Oceanside, Poway, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach, and Vista
- Residents of the cities of San Diego and Chula Vista visit ERAPSanDiego.org for information about rental assistance in their area.
- Household income must fall at or below 80% AMI
- Household must have an obligation to pay rent
- Households must have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced a financial hardship during or due, directly or indirectly, to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Household is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
Other Eligibility Notes:
- Households currently receiving rental subsidies such as Section 8, rapid rehousing assistance, or rental assistance from non-profit agencies may apply. The household must certify that the ERAP assistance requested does not duplicate any other assistance, including federal, state, or local assistance provided for the same costs. Duplication of assistance is subject to County verification.
- Only one application per residence will be permitted.
- To be eligible, the combined income of all persons in the household must fall at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI). Please see AMI chart below.
Number of People in Household
Income equal to or less than the following (80% AMI):
Help With Your Application
If you need help with your application, these community based organizations are able to help;
|Chicano Federation|| |
3180 University Ave Ste 400,San Diego, CA 92104
|(619) 285-5600 X382||English, Spanish|
|Mental Health America|| |
4069 30th StreetSan Diego, CA 92104
|(619) 253-6194||English, Spanish|
|License to Freedom|| |
131 Avocado AveEl Cajon, 92020
|(619) 387-6056||English, Arabic, Kurdish, Chaldean|
|License to Freedom|| |
131 Avocado AveEl Cajon, 92020
|(619) 321-8174||English, Farsi, Dari, Pashto|
150 Valpreda RoadSan Marcos, CA 92069
|(760) 736-6734||English, Spanish|
|South Bay Community Services|| |
430 F StreetChula Vista, CA 91910
|(619) 420-3620||English, Spanish|
|La Maestra|| |
4060 Fairmount Ave.San Diego, CA 92105-1608
|(619) 269-1254||English, Spanish, Turkish, Arabic, Chaldean|
If you are a Community Based Organization that is assisting with RASL applications and have any questions or would like training regarding these programs, please contact ERAPCBOQuestions.HHSA@sdcounty.ca.gov for assistance.
Flyers and Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
ERAP FAQ (Updated 7-16-2021)
ERAP Flyer (Updated 4-6-2021)
Application Status Verification
California State law (Assembly Bill 832) requires the County of San Diego COVID-19 Rent and Utility Assistance Program and similar programs throughout the State to provide a way for the Superior Court to verify the status of an application for rental assistance and obtain copies of decisions about an application.
Visit our Application Status page to check the status and request copies of determination.
If you are a tenant or landlord with an existing application, log in to the online application portal at https://covid-19-2021-rental-assistance.sandiegocounty.gov/ to check the status of an application. Please log in with your email address and password.
- Landlord webinar available the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month from 9am-10am.
Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app
Or call in (audio only)
+1 619-343-2539,,633625638# United States, San Diego
Phone Conference ID: 633 625 638#
- Informational session that will cover the Emergency Rent and Utilities Assistance Program. Landlords will have the opportunity to ask questions about the program.
- For questions, please email email@example.com or call (858) 694-4801.
- Landlord Flyer
Learn more about the Emergency Rent and Utility Assistance Program by visiting our booth at these local community events:
September 11th: Oceanside: La Noche Mexicana, Joe Balderrama Park, 10am-2pm City of Oceanside, California - Joe Balderrama Recreation Center
September 11th: Spring Valley: Summer Movies in the Park, Spring Valley County Park 5pm-7:30pm Soul @ Spring Valley County Park – Summer Movies in the Park
September 18th: Oceanside: Landlord and Tenant Eviction Protection Workshop, 10am-1pm Landlord and Tenant Eviction Prevention Workshop Tickets, Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM | Eventbrite
September 26th: Solana Beach: Solana Beach Farmers Market, 12pm-4pm Directions – The Solana Beach Certified Farmers' Market (solanabeachfarmersmarket.com)
September 29th: Fallbrook Food Pantry, 8am-10am (220 N Pico Street) https://www.fallbrookfoodpantry.org/programs.html
KUSI interview: San Diego County Emergency Rental Assistance Program
Fox 5 interview: How to apply for emergency rental assistance in San Diego County
Channel 10 interview: County rent relief available
This page will be updated as new information becomes available, check back here for updates!