Under California state law, medical personnel (including prehospital staff) are legally required, mandatory reporters. If you suspect abuse of a child or dependent/elder, you must report as follows:
- Suspected Child Abuse
- Suspected Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse
For general public/layperson reporting:
- For a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1
- Child Abuse Hotline: call (within California) 800-344-6000; website.
- Elder Abuse: call 800-510-2020 (within San Diego County) or 800-339-4661 (outside the County), or visit website.
- Domestic Violence Hotline: call 888-DVLinks (385-4657); website.
n the event of an exposure all prehospital provider agencies shall complete the Communicable Disease Exposure Form and follow the directions to route the completed form to the appropriate parties. Please see County EMS Policy S-009 for more information.
Communicable Disease Exposure Reporting Form