The information on this page is intended to assist those working with homeless and unsheltered individuals.
- April 8, 2021: Information regarding the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine is available in English and Spanish.
- April 8, 2021: Viral Vector COVID-19 Vaccines: Myth vs. Fact is available in English and Spanish.
- February 22, 2021: The CDC has updated their frequently asked questions about COVID-19 vaccination among people experiencing homelessness.
- Summary of Cases Among Persons Experiencing Homelessness (Updated June 9, 2021)
- Summary of COVID-19 Vaccinations Among Persons Experiencing Homelessness (Updated June 9, 2021)
- Most Recent Public Health Order
Congregate Facilities Guidance
for COVID-19 (May 19, 2020)
- Updated Temporary Lodging Process for Persons Requiring Isolation (Updated May 9, 2020)
Addendum Regarding Face Coverings and Public
- County of San Diego COVID-19 Planning and Response Sector Letter—Homeless Service Providers (3/10/20)
Prior Homeless Sector Emails
- March 23, 2021 - The County of San Diego remains in the Red (Substantial) Tier. New COVID-19 Resources include: Assistance with Stimulus, COVID-19 Funeral Assistance, Safe transportation practices during COVID-19. The Regional Task Force on the Homeless Outreach Meetings will be re-convening on Tuesday, March 30th from 10AM-12PM via Zoom. The County has released a Request for Proposal (RFP). New general information concludes: Stop Asian Americans and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Hate resources to raise awareness of and combat anti- Asian racism.
- March 16, 2021 - The telebriefing focused on COVID-19 vaccine rollout and public health items for persons experiencing homelessness. As of March 16, 2021, the County of San Diego is in the Red (Substantial) Tier. The California Department of Public Health has developed a new COVID-19 Toolkit. Housing Stability Assistance Program Applications and Chula Vista Emergency Rental Assistance Program Applications remain open. How-To Technology Videos have been created by Live Well San Diego. Continued resources include FREE MTS and NCTD Rides to Vaccination Appointment. There is still a need for Medical and Non-Medical Volunteers at the Vaccination Super Stations. New articles include Oceanside Stages Homeless Outreach Event at Growing Encampment and Moving Date Set for Homeless Shelter at Convention Center.
- March 2, 2021 - FREE MTS and NCTD Rides to Vaccination appointments with proof of vaccine appointment. Telehealth provider to access temporary lodging for persons experiencing homeless who need to isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19. Additionally, there is still FREE COVID-19 testing, FREE Monoclonal Antibody Treatment for 65 years and older, rent assistance, San Diego Food Bank assistance. The National Alliance to End Homelessness webinar will be March 8- 10th at 9AM, please register by Friday March 5th.
- February 23, 2021 – New resources include FREE MTS and NCTD rides to vaccination appointments, new information from CDC on COVID-19 vaccination for PEH, FREE Monoclonal Antibody Treatment for people with mild or moderate COVID-19 symptoms, San Diego City Council approves $92.2 million in Rent Relief, Chula Vista City Council approves $17 million in rent relief, the County of San Diego opened the request for new proposals due by March 8th, 2021.
- February 16, 2021 - The telebriefing discussed COVID-19 vaccine survey results. Updated information on vaccination, COVID-19 data, and the public health guidance are posted. Resources include temporary lodging, COVID-19 rental assistance program, Get Us PPE, North County rental assistance, funding for COVID-19 health equity pilot projects, SBCS rental and utility assistance resources, San Diego food assistance, and COVID-19 testing.
- February 9, 2021 – Updated Public Health Order. New vaccination information includes answers to common questions about COVID-19 vaccinations and FREE COVID-19 vaccine presentations. The Board of Supervisors have now expanded COVID-19 Rental Assistance Program. Continued resources include telehealth provider to access temporary lodging, San Diego PPE donation, rental assistance, food assistance, and FREE COVID-19 testing.
- January 26, 2021 - Public Health Officials have now lifted the Stay at Home Order for all regions. The County has expanded COVID-19 vaccination availability to now ages 65 and up. A notice to Homeless Outreach Partners, they are now eligible for the COVID-19 Vaccine in 1a Category. There is a need for Medical and Non-Medical Volunteers at the Vaccination Super Stations. Live Well San Diego Youth Sector is recruiting for the Youth Leadership Team.
- January 19, 2021 - New resources include Get Us PPE, additional funding for No Place Like Home, and COVID-19 health equity pilot projects. The County has expanded COVID-19 vaccination availability to ages 75 and up. The North County rental assistance, SBCS rental and utility assistance resources, San Diego food assistance, free flu shots from Champions for Health, County flu vaccine events, and the COVID-19 emergency rental assistance program are ongoing resources.
- January 12, 2021 - New vaccination super station launched at Petco Park, North County rental assistance, SBCS rental and utility assistance resources, and the new County request proposal for emergency solutions grant Coronavirus. Free blood pressure screenings are provided on February 11 th with Love Your Heart Day.
- January 5, 2021 - The telebriefing focused on COVID-19 vaccinations. The regional stay at home order, new CA NOTIFY tool, and updated data on COVID-19 is listed. Some resources include free flu shots on site from Champions For Health, flu vaccine events hosted by the County, San Diego food assistance, and COVID-19 emergency assistance programs. Links to the County’s vaccine webpage and the CDC’s FAQ document for COVID-19 vaccination are provided. Small businesses in California are able to apply for the $500 million COVID-19 grant program.
- December 22, 2020 – New CDC FAQ for COVID-19 vaccination for people experiencing homelessness, County of San Diego COVID-19 Vaccine webpage, Resources from Think Dignity, FREE Holiday meals, and an upcoming county-wide survey.
- December 15, 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Programs in South Bay, Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Funds, Serving Senior's Senior Homelessness and Housing Initiative, Holiday Assistance Programs (2-1-1), free Flu Shots at the Tubman Chavez Community Center on Sunday, Champions for Health's free onsite Flu Shots for staff and residents, and COVID-19 Testing Sites temporarily converting to appointment-only.
- December 8, 2020 – Updates with Regional Stay At Home Order, New Telehealth Provider to Access Temporary Lodging, County Libraries Move to Door-side Service, Flu Shots in San Diego County, and 2 New COVID-19 Testing Sites have opened
- December 1, 2020 - Updated Public Health Order and a Winter Holiday Guidance has been posted. Resources and information were provided for El Cajon City's Community Development Block Grant Program, La Mesa's HOME Program, notifications of lab-confirmed COVID-19 cases, San Diego Food Banks, Flu Shots in SD County, Housing and Urban Development SNAPS, Resident Leadership Academy COVID-19 Relief Stipends, and small business stimulus grants for the county.
- November 17, 2020 – Updated data and resources on people experiencing homelessness, updated Public Health Order effective November 14, 2020, new meal distribution and winter holiday guidance.
- November 10, 2020 – Updated data and resources on people experiencing homelessness, new updates for the Universal Screening Tool, new zoning ordinances for shelter facilities, information on flu shots, free meal distributions, new COVID-19 testing sites, and San Diego County has moved to more restrictive purple tier.
- November 3, 2020 – Resources on the Flu during COVID-19, new COVID-19 Testing locations, Zoning Ordinance Amendments Related to Shelter Facilities Webinars, a Cash Grant for Current and Former Foster Youth, COVID-19 Safety Training for Workplace Supervisors and Staff, CDPH Ridesharing Toolkit, and a Call for Nominations for the 2020 Community Inspiration Awards.
- October 27, 2020 - Resources shared from City of La Mesa HOME program, Docfully, Community through Hope, City of Encinitas HOPE, FREE Flu Shots in San Diego County, New CDBG Act Deadline Extended, New Corporation for Supportive Housing Trainings, COVID-19 Positive Recovery Stipend Program and CECO accepting grant applications.
- October 20, 2020 – Resources and guidance from the CDC and HUD Exchange regarding winter planning, The San Diego Latino Coalition to provide a virtual community education session, The San Diego HHSA posted a Request for Quotation (RFQ) requesting for proposals, The San Diego County Employees’ Charitable Organization now accepting applications for 2021 grants
- October 13, 2020 – Update on Focus Groups Among People Experiencing Homelessness, FREE Flu Shots in San Diego County, a COVID-19 Positive Recovery Stipend Program, 11th Annual Primary Care & Behavioral Health Virtual Integration Summit, and a Free Tablet and Technology Training Program. (see attached PDF)
- October 6, 2020 - A Save The Date for the Live Well Advance was posted, as well as guidance for Halloween during the COVID-19 Pandemic, and a reminder that the County Emergency Rental Assistance stops accepting applications on October 8, 2020.
- September 29, 2020 - New guidance for Halloween during the COVID-19 Pandemic was provided, as well as information on the County Emergency Rental Assistance Available to 8,000 Households, Regional Task Force on the Homeless Meetings, the San Diego Immunization Program, San Diego County Library openings, and a reminder for Check Your Mood Day.
- September 22, 2020 - Updated Public Health Order. Resources include: Emergency Rental Assistance, RTFH virtual shared housing forum on 10/15/20, Behavioral Health recourse, Free Mental Health First Aid Certification.
- September 15, 2020 - Resources for homeless services and information on the San Diego immunization program. Resources are also provided on how to safely reopen businesses, new COVID testing sites, Free Mental Health First Aid Certification, new Behavioral Health resources, and the reopening of libraries.
- September 8, 2020 - Guides to reopening businesses, temporary lodging, and portable power banks for the homeless. Resources also for employers, voters, the new San Diego County emergency site.
- September 1, 2020 - New Telehealth Provider to Access Temporary Lodging program. Resources for mask care, a COVID-19 e Toolkit, Homeless specific budget updates, economic impact updates, COVID-19 testing, and distributions of KN95 masks for Homeless Outreach Workers.
- August 25, 2020 - Information on temporary lodging, National Immunization Awareness month, Youth Emergency Readiness Ambassadors, and employer response to COVID-19.
- August 18, 2020 - Provide assistance in accessing food and basic needs for the homeless population and information on organizations that can help like Lucky Duck, San Diego Food Bank, and Community Through Hope. Also, a Regional Task Force survey addressing homelessness among black San Diegans.
- August 11, 2020 - Resources for Medi-Cal Managed Care Plans as well as the Interim Housing Program.
- August 4, 2020 - New CDC guidance and the County also developed a new webpage to display COVID-19 statistics by race and resources for Community Health Worker communication and outreach services.
- July 28, 2020 - Healthy San Diego programs and services, emergency rental resources, County of SD is hiring for CAN/LVN positions, Update: 27 human vaccines are in trials, goal Is for scientist to produce safe and effective vaccine by next year, plasma donations are needed from recovered COVID-19 patients.
- July 21, 2020 - Focused on Older Adults experiencing homelessness. Cases rise in San Diego and the County is focusing on testing efforts for high risk individuals. Seasonal Flu and COVID-19 creates an importance for the flu vaccine
- July 14, 2020 - Resources for seniors and students experiencing homelessness. Housing Our Youth is an approved 2-year pilot program, free 24/7 Medi-nurse call line for those who are uninsured.
- July 7, 2020 - Live Well San Diego fitness challenge- Virtual 5K, Information on contract tracing, and COVID-19 posters for business in Spanish and English.
- June 30, 2020 - New face covering webpage, the National City T-3 Healthy Community Club, new COVID-19 educational posters, county COVID-19 testing information and virtual harm reduction training.
- June 23, 2020 - Focused on ways to reinforce the need for facial coverings while in public among persons experiencing homelessness. The County also released the Homeless Sector Feedback form and DMV reopening.
- June 16, 2020 - The County of San Diego aimed to develop best practices for linking people to resources. Resources also provided for portable showers, cool zones to escape the rising temperatures, and the National Alliance to End Homelessness’s statement on Structural Racism and Racial Inequity.
- June 9, 2020 - Focused on best practices to get persons experiencing homelessness tested and released the updated Screening Tool and Safe Reopening Plan. Resources were also provided from the Housing and Urban Development department.
- June 2, 2020 - Focused on ways to develop effective strategies in addressing the needs of families experiencing homelessness. The County also provided updates on the public health officer order, reserved recovery rooms for persons experiencing homelessness with COVID-19, as well as resources for public assistance programs and domestic abuse helplines.
- May 26, 2020 - Focused on creating effective exit strategies for shelters to move people into stable housing. Resources were also provided for testing sites and free school meals.
- May 19, 2020 - Focused on best practices for linking unsheltered individuals who were disconnected from their primary health provider. Resources provided for meal distribution, Health Plans within San Diego and COVID-19 testing sites.
- May 12, 2020 - Announcement that telebriefings will be combined. Updates on requesting transparent face shields, new call-in clinics, webinar recordings, testing sites, and economic stimulus resources are provided.
- May 5, 2020 - Focused on what went well during the COVID-19 pandemic an included updates on mental health resources, economic stimulus resources, COVID-19 drive-up testing sites, and accessing public assistance programs.
- April 28, 2020 - Requesting new homeless groups for outreach and provided updates on the Universal Screening Tool, testing guidance, CDC guidance for homeless service providers, and the new Public Health Order.
- April 14, 2020 - Updated resources on face coverings and hygiene kits to outreach workers, the latest COVID-19 posters, behavioral health resources, temporary lodging, information on funding for non-profit organizations, and how one can volunteer/donate.
For additional questions and resources, please email: COVID-Homeless@sdcounty.ca.gov