The information on this page is intended to assist those working with homeless and unsheltered individuals.
- October 20, 2020: The HUD Exchange has released resources for winter planning. The Alternative Approaches to Winter Sheltering During COVID-19 document provides a graduated approach to sheltering from life-threatening temperatures and regular seasonal weather. To view the resources, please visit the U.S Department of Housing and Urban Development section in our Federal Guidance page.
- Summary of Cases Among Persons Experiencing Homelessness (Updated October 16, 2020)
- Most Recent Public Health Order
Congregate Facilities Guidance
for COVID-19 (May 19, 2020)
- Updated Temporary Lodging Process for Persons Requiring Isolation (Updated May 9, 2020)
Addendum Regarding Face Coverings and Public
County of San Diego
COVID-19 Planning and Response Sector Letter—Homeless Service
- Temporary Lodging Process for Persons Requiring Isolation
Prior Homeless Sector Emails
October 20, 2020
Resources and guidance from the CDC and HUD Exchange regarding
winter planning, The San Diego Latino Coalition to provide a
virtual community education session, The San Diego HHSA posted a
Request for Quotation (RFQ) requesting for proposals, The San
Diego County Employees’ Charitable Organization now accepting
applications for 2021 grants
- October 13, 2020 – Update on Focus Groups Among People Experiencing Homelessness, FREE Flu Shots in San Diego County, a COVID-19 Positive Recovery Stipend Program, 11th Annual Primary Care & Behavioral Health Virtual Integration Summit, and a Free Tablet and Technology Training Program. (see attached PDF)
- October 6, 2020 - A Save The Date for the Live Well Advance was posted, as well as guidance for Halloween during the COVID-19 Pandemic, and a reminder that the County Emergency Rental Assistance stops accepting applications on October 8, 2020.
- September 29, 2020 - New guidance for Halloween during the COVID-19 Pandemic was provided, as well as information on the County Emergency Rental Assistance Available to 8,000 Households, Regional Task Force on the Homeless Meetings, the San Diego Immunization Program, San Diego County Library openings, and a reminder for Check Your Mood Day.
- September 22, 2020 - Updated Public Health Order. Resources include: Emergency Rental Assistance, RTFH virtual shared housing forum on 10/15/20, Behavioral Health recourse, Free Mental Health First Aid Certification.
- September 15, 2020 - Resources for homeless services and information on the San Diego immunization program. Resources are also provided on how to safely reopen businesses, new COVID testing sites, Free Mental Health First Aid Certification, new Behavioral Health resources, and the reopening of libraries.
- September 8, 2020 - Guides to reopening businesses, temporary lodging, and portable power banks for the homeless. Resources also for employers, voters, the new San Diego County emergency site.
- September 1, 2020 - New Telehealth Provider to Access Temporary Lodging program. Resources for mask care, a COVID-19 e Toolkit, Homeless specific budget updates, economic impact updates, COVID-19 testing, and distributions of KN95 masks for Homeless Outreach Workers.
- August 25, 2020 - Information on temporary lodging, National Immunization Awareness month, Youth Emergency Readiness Ambassadors, and employer response to COVID-19.
- August 18, 2020 - Provide assistance in accessing food and basic needs for the homeless population and information on organizations that can help like Lucky Duck, San Diego Food Bank, and Community Through Hope. Also, a Regional Task Force survey addressing homelessness among black San Diegans.
- August 11, 2020 - Resources for Medi-Cal Managed Care Plans as well as the Interim Housing Program.
- August 4, 2020 - New CDC guidance and the County also developed a new webpage to display COVID-19 statistics by race and resources for Community Health Worker communication and outreach services.
- July 28, 2020 - Healthy San Diego programs and services, emergency rental resources, County of SD is hiring for CAN/LVN positions, Update: 27 human vaccines are in trials, goal Is for scientist to produce safe and effective vaccine by next year, plasma donations are needed from recovered COVID-19 patients.
- July 21, 2020 - Focused on Older Adults experiencing homelessness. Cases rise in San Diego and the County is focusing on testing efforts for high risk individuals. Seasonal Flu and COVID-19 creates an importance for the flu vaccine
- July 14, 2020 - Resources for seniors and students experiencing homelessness. Housing Our Youth is an approved 2-year pilot program, free 24/7 Medi-nurse call line for those who are uninsured.
- July 7, 2020 - Live Well San Diego fitness challenge- Virtual 5K, Information on contract tracing, and COVID-19 posters for business in Spanish and English.
- June 30, 2020 - New face covering webpage, the National City T-3 Healthy Community Club, new COVID-19 educational posters, county COVID-19 testing information and virtual harm reduction training.
- June 23, 2020 - Focused on ways to reinforce the need for facial coverings while in public among persons experiencing homelessness. The County also released the Homeless Sector Feedback form and DMV reopening.
- June 16, 2020 - The County of San Diego aimed to develop best practices for linking people to resources. Resources also provided for portable showers, cool zones to escape the rising temperatures, and the National Alliance to End Homelessness’s statement on Structural Racism and Racial Inequity.
- June 9, 2020 - Focused on best practices to get persons experiencing homelessness tested and released the updated Screening Tool and Safe Reopening Plan. Resources were also provided from the Housing and Urban Development department.
- June 2, 2020 - Focused on ways to develop effective strategies in addressing the needs of families experiencing homelessness. The County also provided updates on the public health officer order, reserved recovery rooms for persons experiencing homelessness with COVID-19, as well as resources for public assistance programs and domestic abuse helplines.
May 26, 2020 - Focused on creating
effective exit strategies for shelters to move people into stable
housing. Resources were also provided for testing sites and free
- May 19, 2020 - Focused on best practices for linking unsheltered individuals who were disconnected from their primary health provider. Resources provided for meal distribution, Health Plans within San Diego and COVID-19 testing sites.
- May 12, 2020 - Announcement that telebriefings will be combined. Updates on requesting transparent face shields, new call-in clinics, webinar recordings, testing sites, and economic stimulus resources are provided.
- May 5, 2020 - Focused on what went well during the COVID-19 pandemic an included updates on mental health resources, economic stimulus resources, COVID-19 drive-up testing sites, and accessing public assistance programs.
- April 28, 2020 - Requesting new homeless groups for outreach and provided updates on the Universal Screening Tool, testing guidance, CDC guidance for homeless service providers, and the new Public Health Order.
- April 14, 2020 - Updated resources on face coverings and hygiene kits to outreach workers, the latest COVID-19 posters, behavioral health resources, temporary lodging, information on funding for non-profit organizations, and how one can volunteer/donate.
- October 20, 2020 – Resources and guidance from the CDC and HUD Exchange regarding winter planning, The San Diego Latino Coalition to provide a virtual community education session, The San Diego HHSA posted a Request for Quotation (RFQ) requesting for proposals, The San Diego County Employees’ Charitable Organization now accepting applications for 2021 grants
For additional questions and resources, please email: COVID-Homeless@sdcounty.ca.gov