Behavioral Health Advisory Board
Purpose Statement and Board Priorities
The purpose of the County of San Diego Behavioral Health Advisory Board is to review and evaluate the community’s behavioral health needs, services, programs, facilities, and procedures used to ensure citizen and professional involvement in the planning process.
Strategic Goals of the Behavioral Health Advisory Board (BHAB) for 2021
BHAB identified priority areas of focus for 2021, resulting in the formation of strategic goals, with an emphasis on enhancing BHAB’s value to the community, to be completed through the efforts of distinct workgroups.
The 2021 Strategic Goals and respective workgroups, are as follows:
- Criminal Justice Workgroup
- Strategic Goal #1: Build BHAB’s internal knowledge base by engaging with stakeholders and investigating the impact of behavioral health system of care disparities in the criminal justice system.
- Strategic Goal #2: Build BHAB’s internal knowledge base by engaging with stakeholders and learning about evidence-based best practices surrounding community-based public safety programs utilizing the sequential intercept model.
- Strategic Goal #3: Build BHAB’s internal knowledge base by exploring restorative and transformative programs with justice-involved people with behavioral health needs to better understand the spectrum of care while addressing disparities.
- Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Workgroup
- Strategic Goal: Build BHAB’s internal knowledge base to support BHS efforts to improve AOD services by serving as the bridge between the community and BHS, resulting in structured and synthesized feedback from the AOD system of care with a focus in the area of prevention.
- Stakeholder Engagement Workgroup
- Strategic Goal: Build BHAB member and stakeholder knowledge and capabilities to make more timely and informed contributions to the San Diego County Board of Supervisors and BHS by becoming better informed on issues affecting the community, especially underserved populations, as well as issues of health equity, starting with the annual Community Planning Process (MHSA Three-Year Plan).
The following strategic goal will fall within the purview of the BHAB Executive Committee, guiding the BHAB meeting structure and external engagement.
- Strategic Goal: Maximize BHAB members’ abilities to focus on BHAB’s strategic goals by strengthening the diversity of stakeholder engagement to shape recommendations on meetings day and time, structure, content, presentations, and strong stakeholder feedback loops.