Pathways to Well-Being
The Katie A. class action suit was filed in 2002 against the County
of Los Angeles and the State of California, alleging violations of
multiple federal laws. The suit sought to improve the provision of
mental health and supportive services for children and youth in, or at
imminent risk of placement in, foster care in California. The State of
California settled its portion of the lawsuit in December 2011 and in
March 2013 issued the Core Practice Model (CPM) Guide.
In San Diego County Behavioral Health Services, Child Welfare Services, Probation, and family and youth partners have worked collaboratively to develop a shared vision to meet the Katie A. settlement requirements. Local delivery of Pathways to Well-Being services began in August 2013 in an effort to ensure that the mental health needs of the youth involved in Child Welfare Services are met with the goals of safety, permanency, and well-being.
In May 2018, the CPM was revised and renamed the Integrated Core Practice Manual (ICPM). The ICPM provides practical guidance and direction to support county child welfare, juvenile probation, behavioral health and partners in the delivery of timely, effective, and collaborative services.
Continuum of Care Reform
Continuum of Care Reform (CCR)/AB 403, initiated across California on January 1, 2017, is a fundamental change in the state’s delivery of services in Child Welfare and Probation. The principles of CCR are built around the right of all children to permanency in a family environment, access to a Child and Family Team (CFT) that includes collaborative service providers and natural supports with the youth’s voice at the center, availability to trauma-informed, culturally relevant, and individualized mental health services regardless of placement, and an increase in support and training for resource families and caregivers. The fundamental principles of CCR mirror the values and principles outlined in the ICPM.
- County of San Diego Home Page
- Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA)
- California Department of Social Services (CDSS)
- Integrated Core Practice Model (ICPM) 2018
- Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)
- Medi-Cal Manual Third Edition 2018
- CDSS CFT Resource Page
- Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program
- BHS Provider Portal
- CDSS CCR Webpage
Select the topics below to view more.
Academy of Professional Excellence (APEX) Learning Management System (LMS) Trainings
Pathways to Well-Being
Course Type Pathways to Well-Being and Continuum of Care Reform (San Diego) eLearning eLearning
Child and Family Team Meeting Video (October 2015) This video is a training tool that demonstrates preparation and facilitation of Child and Family Team (CFT) meetings. Please note, however, the roles of the Child Welfare Services (CWS) and Behavioral Health Services (BHS) staff members are not accurate representations of the County of San Diego CWS and BHS roles.
- 2021-08-04 – BHS Provider Information Notice – Education Representative at CFT Meeting
- 2021-07-02 BHS Information Notice- Obtaining Child Welfare Services Case Status Information
- 2020-06-19-BHS Provider Memo-Pathways to Well Being Bulletin-COVID-19 Updates
- 08-CYF MEMO IHBS Prior Authorization 8.16.19
- Pathways to Well-Being BHS Provider Q & A (1-9-18)
- Third Edition Medi-Cal Manual for Intensive Care Coordination (ICC), Intensive Home Based Services (IHBS), and Therapeutic Foster Care (TFC) Services for Medi-Cal Beneficiaries (January 2018)
- The Foster Youth Bill of Rights
Information Notice: ICC and IHBS Lockout Removal
NOTE: As of April 2023, links to the RIHS webpage are no longer live.
2019-4 PWB Medical Record Review 7-8-19 (retired)
2015-8 Education Letter 7-10-15 (retired)
2014-4 Teaming Training Bulletin 9-11-14 (retired)
Tools and Forms
- Child and Family Team Brochure – English (10-2-15)
- Child and Family Team Brochure – Spanish (10-2-15)
- IHBS Prior Authorization Request (rv 11-21-23)
- IHBS Prior Authorization Request Explanation (rv 11-21-23)
- Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Note Form Fill (11-30-21)
- Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Note Explanation (1-14-21)
- Intensive Care Coordination (ICC) Note Form Fill (6-20-18)
- Intensive Care Coordination (ICC) Note Explanation (6-20-18)
- Eligibility for PWB and Enhanced Services Form Fill (9-20-17)
- Eligibility for PWB and Enhanced Services Explanation (10-27-17)
- PTW BHS CFWB Information Exchange Form Fill (10-30-23)
- PTW BHS CFWB Information Exchange Form Explanation (10-30-23)
- Form Fill Request for Education Representative at CFT Meeting Letter (8-1-21)
Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program
- To connect to the Fred Finch Youth Center, Child and Family
Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program Referral Form and Program
- Fred Finch Youth Center, Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program Referral Form Explanation Sheet
- Pathways to Well-Being Bulletin 2018-7: Child and Family Team Meeting Facilitation Program Rollout Mandated Utilization
- For more information regarding Fred Finch Youth Center Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program referrals, please contact Fred Finch Youth Services Program Manager Laura McClarin at firstname.lastname@example.org or BHPM Shaun M Goff at Shaun.Goff@sdcounty.ca.gov.
- To connect to the Fred Finch Youth Center, Child and Family Team (CFT) Meeting Facilitation Program Referral Form and Program information:
- ICC and IHBS Expansion
- Contact Us