Passport Options and Fees
There are two options to select when applying for a passport:
- Passport Book: U.S. Passport Books are valid for travel by United States citizens anywhere in the world, although travel to certain countries and/or for certain purposes may require a visa.
Passport Card: The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter
the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at
land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient
and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be
used for international travel by air. Like the traditional passport
book, it reflects the bearer's origin, identity, and nationality and
is subject to existing passport laws and regulations. All U.S.
citizens may apply for a passport card.
- If you have a U.S. passport book and are eligible to use Form DS-82, you may apply for the card by mail. You can use Form DS-82 to renew your passport book at the same time that you apply for your passport card.
- If you have never had a U.S. passport book or are not eligible to use Form DS-82, you must apply in person using Form DS-11.
- All passport cards will be returned using First Class Mail. Passport cards cannot be shipped to you using overnight delivery.
When applying for a passport, there are two separate fees that must be paid for each passport application: the acceptance fee, and the application fee. Submitting incorrect fees may delay the processing of your application. Please read the information below carefully to ensure your payment is correct. We do not accept credit cards.
1. ACCEPTANCE FEE: Payable by cash, check, or money order to the County of San Diego.
Notice: If your check bounces, you may be referred to the San Diego County District Attorney’s Office. Passing a bad check with intent to defraud is a crime. Be sure you have adequate funds on deposit before you write a check.
2. APPLICATION FEE: Payable ONLY by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State.
The Clerk of the Board issues money orders for a nominal fee ($2.00).
To help calculate your passport costs, use the Estimate Your Fees calculator or see the fee charts below. Processing time begins the day the application is received at the passport agency or center, not the day the application was submitted.