Unacceptable Items & Contaminants
Not everything belongs in your organic waste bin. Tossing items like plastic bags, dirt, rocks, glass and metals can damage equipment at the composting or anaerobic digestion facility and pose a danger to workers. Other common items to avoid placing in your green organic waste bin include:
- Dirt, soil, rocks, and concrete
- Please visit the Construction
and Demolition Recycling webpage for more information on
how to handle these materials.
- Please visit the Construction and Demolition Recycling webpage for more information on how to handle these materials.
- Hazardous waste
- Search WasteFreeSD.org for proper recycling/disposal options
- Large foam blocks can be placed in your recycling bin
- Plastic or wax-coated paper or to-go containers
- Pet waste and kitty litter
glass, or metal
- Bottles, cans, and containers can be placed in your blue recycle bin. Learn more here.
- Cigarette butts
- Can be recycled through TerraCycle's program
Click the buttons below to learn about the various materials that can be placed in the Organics Bin:
Have a recycling question? Email Recycle@sdcounty.ca.gov or Call the Recycling Hotline: