Residential Recycling in Densely-Populated Areas
The Solid Waste Ordinance was updated as of June 4, 2021 in unincorporated San Diego County. The Solid Waste Ordinance incorporates state laws regarding recycling and organics recycling (SB 1383). Recycling requirements differ for the densely- and sparsely- populated areas of the unincorporated county. Click here to determine which area your residence is located. This page will detail how residences (single family homes and multi-family complexes with 4 or fewer units) in the densely-populated areas can remain compliant with local and State laws.
If your residence is in the sparsely-populated area please visit
Single-family residences and multi-family complexes with 4 or fewer units in the densely-populated areas must separate and store designated recyclable materials and designated organic materials separately from solid waste and arrange for recycling of the following materials-
Designated Recyclable Materials:
- Glass Bottles & Jars
- Cardboard & Paper Products
- Rigid Plastics (#1-#7)
- Tin & Bi-Metal Cans
- Large Appliances
- Yard Trimmings
- Nonhazardous Wood Waste
- Food Scraps and Food Soiled Paper*
*when service is available in your area or by January 1, 2022
- Keep recyclables separate from trash.
- Arrange for proper collection, storage, and transport of discarded materials.
How do I Comply?
Residents may demonstrate compliance by:
- Subscribing to a 3-stream collection service with a non-exclusive franchise hauler, or contract with a Certified Recyclable Materials Collector for certain materials.
- Self-hauling materials. Registration with the County is required. Contact Recycle@sdcounty.ca.gov for information.
Curbside Collection Services
Private recycling and franchised waste companies provide curbside recycling and trash collection services throughout the unincorporated area. For a list of service providers for your area, visit the following links for franchised waste haulers and recycling haulers.
Have a recycling question? Email Recycle@sdcounty.ca.gov or call: