HHW Collection Facilities
Household hazardous waste (HHW) should never be thrown into the trash or poured down the sink, sewer or storm drains. Improper disposal may injure refuse workers, pollute ground water, waterways, and our oceans, potentially destroying marine life. For these reasons, improper disposal is illegal.
Disposal for County Residents
The County has access to three permanent HHW collection facilities to accept HHW from unincorporated County residents. The locations are:
Ramona HHW Facility
1-lb propane cylinder exchange (disposables for refillable)
Then return here to schedule .
COVID-19 SAFETY PROCEDURES
Escondido HHW Facility
Disposal for City Residents
If you do not live in the unincorporated areas of the County, you will need to contact your city's HHW program for disposal information. Here is a current contact list by city.
Disposal for Oil, Oil Filters, and Electronics
Used oil, oil filters, and electronics can be recycled at many local businesses. Call the HHW Hotline (877-R-1-EARTH/877-713-2784) or search www.wastefreesd.org for a location nearest you.
- Do not transport more than the legal limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW.
- All container labels must be legible (no worn-off labels)
- All containers must be sealed and not leaking
- Do not mix different products into one container
- HHW must be transported in the trunk of the car or in another area away from passengers and pets
- For qualified elderly or disabled unincorporated County residents only, a pick up service is available upon approval (call 877-713-2784 for an appointment).