HHW Collection Facilities

Household Hazardous Waste


Household hazardous waste (HHW) should never be thrown into the trash or poured down the sink, sewer or storm drains.  Improper disposal may injure refuse workers, pollute ground water, waterways, and our oceans, potentially destroying marine life. For these reasons, improper disposal is illegal.


Disposal for County Residents

The County has access to three permanent HHW collection facilities to accept HHW from unincorporated County residents.  The locations are:

  Ramona HHW Facility for unincorporated residents

324 Maple Street, Ramona
(at the Ramona Disposal Transfer Station)

Appointments Required
call (877) 713-2784 for an appointment or click below for our online appointment scheduler

Appointments available 1st and 3rd Saturdays from    9:00 am - 1:00 pm.


schedule image



  • All waste must be transported in vehicle trunk or bed of pick-up truck
  • Staff will not open vehicle door or enter vehicle interior
  • Unlock trunk prior to check in
  • You must remain in your vehicle
  • Bring proof of residency / address
  • Bring a face covering in case interaction with staff is necessary





Escondido HHW Facility 
  for unincorporated residents

1044 West Washington Avenue, Escondido 
(at the Escondido Disposal Transfer Station) 

Appointments Required

call (877) 713-2784 for an appointment or click below for our online appointment scheduler

Appointments avalable from 12:30 pm - 2:45pm only 


schedule image




Appointments at Escondido HHW facility for City of Escondido residents only


     El Cajon HHW Facility

1001 W. Bradley Avenue, El Cajon

(at the Waste Management Transfer Station)

Appointments Required
Call (619) 596-5100
 for an appt.

Appointments available 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month - from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm.





Disposal for City Residents

If you do not live in the unincorporated areas of the County, you will need to contact your city's HHW program for disposal information. Here is a current contact list by city.

Disposal for Oil, Oil Filters, and Electronics

Used oil, oil filters, and electronics can be recycled at many local businesses.  Call the HHW Hotline (877-R-1-EARTH/877-713-2784) or search www.wastefreesd.org for a location nearest you.


  • Do not transport more than the legal limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of HHW.
  • All container labels must be legible (no worn-off labels)
  • All containers must be sealed and not leaking
  • Do not mix different products into one container
  • HHW must be transported in the trunk of the car or in another area away from passengers and pets
  • For qualified elderly or disabled unincorporated County residents only, a pick up service is available upon approval (call 877-713-2784 for an appointment).