You’ve got mail! JUNK mail, that is.
The average American receives 40 pounds of catalogs and other junk mail every year. That’s approximately 848 pieces of mail you don’t want, and that you spend time sorting. In addition to wasting your time, junk mail wastes our natural resources. Junk mail destroys 100 million trees and creates 50 million tons of greenhouse gases each year, and while most of it is recyclable, almost 80% of it ends up in landfills (over 5 million tons per year).
Take a load off you, and our environment, by reducing your junk mail in 5 easy steps!
5 steps to reduce junk mail:
- Remove your name from mailing lists:
- Direct mailer registries- National Do Not Mail List
- Weekly grocery mailers- Red Plum/RetailMeNot
- Weekly coupon mailers- Valpak
- DMA Choice is an inexpensive paid service from the Direct Mail Association that removes your name from their members' direct mail lists. Their members include thousands of major brands. Removing your name from all categories takes just a few minutes! A credit card is needed to sign up, DMA Choice costs $2 for 10 years of service.
- To permanently opt-out from receiving credit and insurance offers, remove your name from the mailing list at OptOutPreScreen.com, or send a written request to each of the three national credit reporting agencies in the US: Equifax / TransUnion / Experian
- Remove your name from specific catalog lists by visiting CatalogChoice.org
- To reduce junk mail even further, you can contact companies directly. Ask them to remove your name from their mailing lists or tell them not to sell your name or send promotional materials, and be sure you’re signed up for paperless billing.
- Don’t forget to opt-out of receiving a phonebook if you’re an individual who prefers online search engines. Use the free service at Yellow Pages Opt-Out! Simply enter your five-digit zip code to view which directories are distributed in your area, and use your name and address to opt-out of the unwanted selections at YellowPagesOptOut.com
Follow the easy steps above, or use our Junk Mail Reduction Kit (pdf) and you can prevent up to 90% of junk mail from finding its way to your doorstep.