Hazardous Materials Facilities Flood Response

Attention all San Diego County Businesses storing hazardous materials, or generating hazardous waste.

In light of the flooding that occurred this week,  it is important for affected businesses to take immediate and appropriate actions to address the impact on hazardous materials and wastes. Please find important information below:

1. Resourceful Information:

If you are a business that stores hazardous materials or generates hazardous wastes and were impacted by the flood, some helpful information is on DEHQ’s website: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/deh/hmd/pdf/FloodReadinessPreventionTips-HMD.pdf

2. Hazardous Waste Disposal:

If you have hazardous materials or wastes that were damaged, you must contract with a registered hazardous waste transporter to have them hauled away properly for disposal. Registered transporters can be found at this link: https://hwts.dtsc.ca.gov/transporters/

3. Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG’s):

Businesses that are Very Small Quantity Generators (VSQG’s) of hazardous waste may be able to make an appointment to drop off small amounts of hazardous wastes. Please call 1-877-R1EARTH (877-713-2784) for more information.

4. Aboveground Tank Owners & Operators:

Aboveground tank owners and operators should inspect their tanks, including pumps and dispensing systems, to verify the equipment is secured and anchored. Address Underground Storage Tank (UST) alarms as needed, or contact your contractor for assistance.

5. Reporting Spills or Releases:

For spills or releases of hazardous materials/hazardous wastes:

After the initial immediate measures have been taken to protect human health and the environment, report the release at once to the following agencies in accordance with State and Federal law:

1. Call 911 for emergency assistance. This usually results in a fire department response

2. Call California Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES), 800-852-7550 

3. Call the local CUPA (HMD) at 858-505-6657.

4. If a release exceeds the federal reportable quantity (RQ), call the National Response Center (NRC), 800-424-8802. 

It is crucial to act promptly to safeguard the community and the environment. Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines.