FHD Housing Program Frequently Asked Questions

I have cockroaches in my apartment, can you condemn my unit?

Tenants need to deal with their landlords on vermin control, including allowing them to try to eliminate the problem. To discourage cockroaches, keep your unit clean, keep garbage and trash in containers with tight fitting lids, clean up all food spills, don't allow dirty dishes to sit in the sink, and get rid of empty boxes, bottles, and clutter. DEHQ is the regulatory agency on housing issues in all areas of the county except in the cities of Chula Vista, El Cajon, Escondido, Imperial Beach, National City, Oceanside, or San Diego.


Where can I obtain information on resolving a housing dispute with my landlord? What are my rights?

The California Department of Real Estate has updated the "California Tenants: a guide to residential tenants' and landlords' rights and responsibilities" as of 2020. PDF Versions are available in English and Spanish.