Housing Complaints

Housing Complaints

The purpose of the housing program is to ensure safe housing, such as rental units, in regulated areas of the County, which includes: Carlsbad, Coronado, Del Mar, Encinitas, La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Poway, San Marcos, Santee, Solana Beach, Vista, and the unincorporated areas of the County. To accomplish this, the Food and Housing Division enforces state laws pertaining to sanitation, maintenance, ventilation, and occupancy.

This program does not serve the following cities: Chula Vista, El Cajon, Escondido, Imperial Beach, National City, Oceanside, or San Diego.

Municipality Phone Number Report a Violation
Chula Vista (619) 691-5280 English
Incorporated El Cajon (619) 441-1742 English
Escondido (760) 839-4650 English  en Español
Imperial Beach (619) 628-1358 English
National City (619) 336-4287  
Oceanside (760) 435-4500
San Diego (619) 236-5500 English  en Español
All Others (858) 505-6903 Email: fhdutyeh@sdcounty.ca.gov


To report a housing complaint (All Others)

Phone: (858) 505-6903

Fax: (858) 999-8920

Email: fhdutyeh@sdcounty.ca.gov

Department of Environmental Health and Quality,
Food & Housing Division
Attn: Duty Desk
P.O. Box 129261
San Diego, CA  92112-9261


Housing Disputes

The California Department of Real Estate has updated the "California Tenants: a guide to residential tenants' and landlords' rights and responsibilities" as of 2020. PDF Versions are available in English and Spanish.



01/2016: Senate Bill 655 amends mold as a substandard housing condition: PDF


Food & Housing Programs
Publications  Housing Contact Us
Food Swimming Pools Body Art