Metals are highly recyclable, however, scrap metals should not go in your recycle bin (as they can damage recycling sorting equipment). Recycle them by visiting WasteFreeSD.org to find a convenient location near you.
DO place these in the Recycle Bin:
- Food and beverage bottles and cans (aluminum, tin, steel)
- Clean foil
- Metal containers
- Empty aerosol cans
DO NOT place these in the Recycle Bin:
- Scrap metal
- Take to a scrap metal recycler as it can damage the sorting equipment at the recycling facility.
- Clothes hangers (these can be donated!)
- Electronic waste, lightbulbs, batteries
- Only place materials that are empty and dry in your recycle bin.
- Visit WasteFreeSD.org to learn where to recycle items that CANNOT go in your blue bin!
Have a recycling question? Email Recycle@sdcounty.ca.gov or Call the Recycling Hotline: