We know recycling plastic can be confusing; Let’s simplify it. Only recycle plastics that are larger than a credit card and are either a bottle (water, soda, juice, etc.) or a container (bucket, yogurt tub, clamshell/to-go container). That’s it!
DO place these in the Recycle Bin:
- Plastic bottles (empty, with lids)
- Containers, cups, clamshells
- Tubs and buckets
- Large foam blocks
DO NOT place these in the Recycle Bin:
- Foam packing peanuts, and foam plates, cups or to-go containers
- Plastic bags, plastic wrap and film, bubble wrap
and bread bags
- These plastic bags CANNOT be placed in your curbside recycling bin, but CAN be returned to participating retailers for recycling. Visit WasteFreeSD.org or PlasticFilmRecycling.org to find a retailer near you!
- Plastic bags get tangled in the machinery at the recycling facility when placed in the blue bin and end up in the landfill.
- Plastic utensils and all straws (paper or plastic)
- Compostable "plastics"
- Ever wonder what those numbers inside a recycling triangle
mean? They simply identify the
type of plastic and do not necessarily mean that the
plastic is recyclable.
Recycle Right! Home Page
Recycling Home Page
Have a recycling question? Email Recycle@sdcounty.ca.gov or Call the Recycling Hotline: