Flood Control Functions
The Flood Control Section is responsible for the maintenance of existing stormwater drainage facilities, construction of new district facilities, flood warning, hydrologic data collection and assuring private development projects meet flood Control objectives and compliance with Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) guidelines. It provides staff support for the Flood Control Commission, drafts and reviews state and local regulations and provides FEMA and County Flood Plain Map information, technical reports, public and private land development studies and standards for support of private development. It also receives drainage complaints and provides information and appropriate action(s). For questions about general Flood Control issues, please call (858) 694-2112.
DPW Flood Control is supported by the:
- Flood Control District
- Flood Control District Advisory Commission Public Meetings and Info
- Flood Control District Contact Numbers
Flood Control is responsible for maintenance of stormwater drainage facilities, developing and reviewing hydrologic and hydraulic studies and associated mapping, and ensuring compliance with sound floodplain management criteria aimed at reducing flood risk. Flood Control is also responsible for flood warning and rainfall data collection.
- Introduction to Floodplain Management
- Drainage System Maintenance
- Local Flood Hazards
- Flood Hazards Mapping
- Special Drainage Areas
These documents provide guidelines on engineering design of your project.
- Hydrology Manual
If proposed project involves complex modeling (i.e. HEC-RAS analysis) Flood Control District staff is available to meet to discuss appropriate parameter selection and other technical considerations.
- 2D HEC-RAS Modeling Course by Floodplain Management Association
- HEC-RAS On-Demand Webinar Package by the American Society of Civil Engineers
Governing Ordinances and Regulations:
- County of San Diego Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 44
- Floodplain Development Regulations and Permitting
- Guidance For Development within the FEMA Floodplain in Borrego Valley
- Natural and Beneficial Functions of Floodplains
- Flood Insurance Information
Hazard Mitigation Information:
Flood Warning uses a network of automated rain, stream, reservoir and weather stations known as the ALERT Flood Warning System. Weather changes are reported in real-time to our Kearny Mesa office.
- Flood Warning
- San Diego Flood Warning System
- Protecting Your Property from Flood Damage
- Disaster Do’s and Don’ts
- Average Annual Rainfall Map
- Web Cams
- Flood Control Publications & Downloadable Documents
- Weather-Related Sites
- Links to Other Flood Agencies