Learn more about the world of water-wise landscaping.
Create a design and select plants that will save water and beautify
- WaterSmartSD – Find even more resources, like landscape design templates you can adapt for your yard, advice on turf removal strategies, and educational offerings to help you plan your project and get a Waterscape rebate.
- Homeowner’s Guide to a WaterSmart Landscape — San Diego County Water Authority – A Step by Step process for creating your sustainable landscape.
- Calscape Garden Planner – Find the perfect native plants for your garden with just 4 questions!
- California Native Plant Society-San Diego Chapter – Find out where to buy native plants.
- California Native Plants – bewaterwise.com – Learn about the benefits of native plants in California.
- San Diego Planting Guide- bewaterwise.com – A native planting guide and templates for San Diego residents!
- Sustainable Landscape Guide- San Diego County Water Authority – A comprehensive guide to San Diego sustainable landscapes.
Get tips and resources to help you capture rain and use it in your yard:
Education and Assistance: Take advantage of these FREE classes and professional help with your project:
- Three-Hour Workshops – San Diego County Water Authority – These classes are taught by professionals and offer a guided, do it yourself approach.
- Designer at Your Door Service – San Diego County Water Authority – After completing five of the 3-hour workshops, participants are eligible for the Designer at Your Door service which offers you free one-on-one coaching and design help from a certified professional.
- Garden Happenings – The Water Conservation Garden – The Conservation Garden offers regular classes and workshops on various landscape design and maintenance.
- Classes – bewaterwise.com – Check out classes on turf removal, design, and more!
Permeable Pavement: Find contractors to help with your project:
- Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute (ICPI) Self Serve Portal (icpi.org) – Find an ICPI certified contractor.
Read about the basics of irrigation, and how you can use smarter
techniques to reduce your water use.
- Irrigation Runoff - County of San Diego - This page discusses why irrigation runoff is prohibited and ways to mitigate runoff from leaving your property.
- Landscape Watering Calculator — City of San Diego – This tool helps you to estimate the right watering schedule for your garden.
- California Irrigation Management Information System (CIMIS) — California Dept. of Water Resources – CIMIS is a network of over 140 automated active weather stations in California, who produce reports for irrigators to use for more efficient water management.
- Septic System Training Resources - County of San Diego - A comprehensive guide that discusses how your septic system functions, how your system relates to water quality, ways to prevent failures and how to address failures.
Septic System Training Video
Video de Entrenamiento del Sistema Séptico
- Homeowners’ Guide to Septic Systems – EPA – Helpful resource for homeowners about what you need to know about the long-term main maintenance of your septic systems.