DEHQ Operations during COVID-19

To ensure our customer’s needs are being met, DEHQ operates Customer Service Phone lines Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.and continues to provide services via customer drop off and online services. 

Effective April 1, 2021 the Department of Environmental Health and Quality (DEH) will start offering in-person appointments and consultations at our service counters.

Permit appointments: (858) 505-6666 |
Plan Check appointments: (858) 505-6660 |  

You can also click to schedule a meeting with DEHQ.

We are committed to your safety, in order to slow the spread of COVID-19, all persons on the campus that are unvaccinated must wear a mask. To ensure your safety, DEHQ has increased cleaning and sanitizing the customer areas and touchpoints after each customer.  

For up to date information about COVID-19, including resource documents such as frequently asked questions, informational posters, and guidance, please visit

For more specific guidance and FAQs visit:

DEHQ is available to serve you via:

  • Citizen Access is a website with online services to search records,  pay for existing permit (record) and  re-inspection fees, and  apply for permits on-line.
  • Payment Online  For online payments, click Citizen Access or go to http:/  Go to the DEHQ tab, then in the General Search section, enter the Record Number (printed on invoice) in the Record Number field and click Search.  Clcik on Payments, select Fees from the dropdown list, click "Pay Fees" link, then click on "Continue with Application" and select one of the Payment options.  Online payment instructions are available in English and Español.
    • Online payments can only be made on existing permit (records) and for re-inspection fees
    • Online payments can be by EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer) or by credit card (Visa, Master Card)
  • Public Records can also be accessed online through the Environmental Health Document Library.  Public record requests can be emailed to the Public Records Program Duty Desk or faxed to            (858) 505-6848.  For questions please call (858) 505-6921.
  • Pool and Food Facility Plan Check can be submitted online via Citizen Access by following these instructions. Should you have any questions, please call (858) 505-6660.  
  • Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) Plan Check can be submitted online using the Online Hazardous Materials Questionnaire via Citizen Access, following these instructions.
    • You will be asked to create a username and password and will be able to submit information online. You will have the ability to pay the fee online and receive a digitally stamped copy of the Hazardous Materials Questionnaire. DEHQ can also refer the information to the Air Pollution Control District (APCD) for their review and stamp.
      - OR -
    • Send an electronic copy of the Hazardous Materials Questionnaire to Sayed Khalid at  Once received, fee payment can be arranged online. After we’ve received your fee payment, you will receive your Hazardous Materials Questionnaire with a digital stamp.
  • Underground Storage Tank (UST) Plan Check completed applications can be submitted to UST Plan Check Permit Applications can be found here and related questions can be sent to
  • Septic System Permits application forms and fees can be found here. Applications can be electronically submitted to For any questions on this process or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Land Use Duty Desk at (858) 565-5173.   
  • Water Well Permits application forms and fees can be found here. Application forms can be electronically submitted to For any questions or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Well Program Duty Desk at (858) 505-6688.
  • Recycled Water Projects application forms and fees can be found here. Applications can be electronically submitted to For any questions or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Recycled Water Program at (858) 565-5173. 
  • Voluntary Assistance Program information, application forms, and fees are online.  For questions please contact the Site Assessment and Mitigation Program Duty Desk at (858) 505-6808.
  • Vector Control Program services including mosquitofish pickup, insect identification and rabies testing submissions will continue.
    • If picking up mosquito fish, please call (858) 694-2888 or email to schedule an appointment. 
    • Insect samples for identification can be submitted by email to as clear images less than 5mb in size or by US mail to:

            5570 Overland Ave. Suite 102
            San Diego, CA 92123
            ATTN: Vector Ecologist

If you have any questions regarding this information, or for other services, please contact the following:

Additional contact information can be found here.  For a list of services and programs please refer to A to Z services.  

Deferred Invoicing & Payment for Impacted Facilities


Updated May 2021:

Food Facility Plan Check Fee Waivers
Plan Check fee waivers for the initial submittal of new construction and remodeled food facility projects were extended through May 5, 2021 or until the appropriated funds have been expended. As of April 27th, the initial fee waiver funding has been depleted, but additional funding for this fee waiver program continues with an extend $300,000. Once depleted, invoicing for projects will continue. 

Updated February 24, 2021:

To assist businesses during the challenging and unprecedented COVID-19 pandemic, the County Board of Supervisors (Board) voted on March 24, 2020 and May 5, 2020 to defer the date on which annual health permit fees, for certain Department of Environmental Health and Quality (DEHQ) permits, would be due.  This deferral was extended on October 27, 2020 through March 31, 2021.  Because the requirement to pay an annual fee was not applicable to the renewal of these permits, the permits renewed when the annual fee would otherwise have been due.  DEHQ notified all operators that permits were valid, even though a physical permit was not mailed.

The fee deferrals provided by the Board end on March 31, 2021. Deferred fees are therefore due on April 1, 2021. If this situation applies to you, the amount of deferred fees coming due is shown on the enclosed invoice.  

If your annual permit expires in March 2021, the enclosed invoice includes a line item for your annual renewal fee.  Where applicable, that fee is also due on April 1, 2021. 

If your current annual permit does not expire at the end of March 2021, your renewal fees will be due on their annual renewal date.  You will be invoiced separately for the annual renewal fee, and you will no longer have a valid permit to operate unless renewal fees are paid by the last day of the last month covered by your permit. 

If you would like to pay online, you can do so at via E-check or credit card (Visa/Mastercard). Online payment instructions are available in English and Español.

For additional translation services or if you have questions regarding this information or your operation, please contact the duty information specialist at (858) 505-6900 or email at

Updated October 28, 2020:

On October 27, 2020, the County Board of Supervisors approved to continue to defer permit fees due dates through March 31, 2021 and Plan Check fee waivers for the initial submittal of new construction and remodeled food facility projects until the appropriated funds have been expended.

Deferred Permit Renewals:
The following Permit Renewal fees will continue to be deferred until March 31, 2021. If you would like to pay your annual permit prior to March 31st, you can do so at If you need a copy of your current invoice, please contact or (858) 505-6666. If your annual renewal month is March or later, and you have not yet paid your 2020 renewal fees, you will be assessed both 2020 and 2021 renewal fees after March 31, 2021.

  • Annual Temporary Event Organizers
  • Annual Temporary Event Vendors
  • Bars
  • Body Art / Tattoo Shops
  • Breweries with Food Service
  • Caterers
  • Cottage Food Operators
  • Host Facilities
  • Licensed Health Care Facilities
  • Massage Establishments
  • Mobile Food Commissaries
  • Mobile Food Facilities
  • Organized Camps
  • Recreational Swimming Pools / Spas
  • Restaurants
  • Schools