HMD School and Community Outreach
The Hazardous Materials Division (HMD) is continually looking for opportunities to support our communities and organizations interested in protecting public health and the environment; one of the ways we do this is through our Outreach Program.
Examples HMD Outreach activities:
- Informational booths at schools, businesses, and community events.
- An interactive school science program called “Science at Work”.
- Participation at Career Day fairs by Hazmat inspectors, including members of our Hazardous Incident Response Team.
- Fire Prevention Open Houses.
- Speaker presentations at industry conferences and other types of meetings or events.
In addition to these Outreach activities, the Hazardous Materials Division has developed and assembled tools for teachers and administrators to use at schools to reduce the risks to students and employees. These tools are particularly helpful by demonstrating that compliance with environmental laws is one step in keeping children safe from common chemical and physical hazards that may be present at schools.
For more information, please contact the HMD Duty Specialist about potential outreach opportunities at (858) 505-6880.
Resources for Parents, Teachers and Kids
Hazmat Compliance for Schools – handout
Additional County Outreach