Best Management Practice Design Manual
The 2020 County of San Diego BMP Design Manual (Manual) provides
guidance for land development and public improvement projects to
comply with the 2013 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4)
Permit (Order No. R9-2013-0001 as amended by R9-2015-0001 and
R9-2015-0100). This is the second update to the 2016 Manual and
replaces the January 2019 version of the BMP Design Manual. It is
focused on project design requirements and related post-construction
requirements, not on the construction process itself.
The County’s regulatory programs for stormwater are established in County ordinances, principally the County of San Diego Watershed Protection, Stormwater Management, and Discharge Control Ordinance (WPO), at County Code sections 67.801 et seq. The WPO defines the requirements that are legally enforceable by the County in the unincorporated parts of San Diego County.
This page provides both the 2020 version of the Manual, as well as the 2019 and 2016 versions of the Manual. However, if you have a project in process, please contact your PDS Land Development Project Manager or other County contact for applicability requirements.
A list of 2020 Revisions, as well as a List of Updates from the January 2019 and 2016 Editions can be found here.
For technical questions regarding the BMP Design Manual, email the Model BMP Design Manual Help Desk.
Non-technical questions related to County-specific requirements such as submittal requirements, approval process, project-specific questions and policy-related issues should be directed to the PDS Land Development Project Manager.
- Appendix A: Submittal Templates
Appendix B: Storm Water Pollutant
Control Hydrologic Calculations and Sizing Methods
- Excel Workbook: Automated Stormwater Pollutant Control Worksheets Version 2.0 (Download)
- Appendix C: Baseline BMP Fact Sheets for Site Design and Source Control
- Appendix D: Geotechnical Engineer Analysis
- Appendix E: Fact Sheets for Enhanced Site Design, Structural and Flow-thru BMPs
- Appendix F: General Standards for Bioretention/Biofiltration BMPs
Appendix G: Guidance for Continuous
Simulation and Hydromodification Management Sizing Factors
- Excel Workbook: BMP Sizing Calculator V3.1 (Download)
- Appendix H: Guidance for Investigating Potential Critical Coarse Sediment Yield Areas
- Appendix I: Significant Site Design BMP (SSD-BMP) Sizing Methods and Calculations
- Appendix J: Offsite Alternative Compliance Requirements and Guidance
- Appendix K: Guidance on Green Infrastructure
- Appendix L: Prior Lawful Approval Requirements and Guidance
- Glossary of Key Terms
|Standard SWQMP (PDF) (Word) ||Attachment 1: Intake Form (PDF) (Word)
Priority Development Project (PDP) SWQMP
Attachment 3: Reserved for Future Use