Best Management Practice Design Manual
The 2019 County of San Diego BMP Design Manual (BMP DM) provides
guidance for land development and public improvement projects to
comply with the 2013 Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4)
Permit (Order No. R9-2013-0001 as amended by R9-2015-0001 and
R9-2015-0100). This Manual has been updated and replaces the February
2016 version of the BMP Design Manual. It is focused on project design
requirements and related post-construction requirements, not on the
construction process itself.
The County’s regulatory programs for stormwater are established in County ordinances, principally the County of San Diego Watershed Protection, Stormwater Management, and Discharge Control Ordinance (WPO), at County Code sections 67.801 et seq. The WPO defines the requirements that are legally enforceable by the County in the unincorporated parts of San Diego County.
This page provides both 2019 and 2016 versions of the Manual. However, if you have a project in process, please contact your PDS Land Development Project Manager or other County contact for applicability requirements.
A list of 2019 Revisions and a List of Updates from the February 2016 to the January 2019 Edition can be found here.
Non-technical questions related to County-specific requirements such as submittal requirements, approval process, project-specific questions and policy-related issues should be directed to the PDS Land Development Project Manager.
2019 BMP Design Manual (Complete) Effective January 1, 2019 Minor Revision July 17, 2019
- Appendix A: Submittal Templates
Appendix B: Storm Water Pollutant
Control Hydrologic Calculations and Sizing Methods
- Excel Workbook: Automated Stormwater Pollutant Control Worksheets Version 2.0 (Download)
- Appendix C: Intentionally Blank
- Appendix D: Geotechnical Engineer Analysis
- Appendix E: BMP Design Fact Sheets
- Appendix F: General Standards for Bioretention/Biofiltration BMPs
- Appendix G: Guidance for Continuous Simulation and Hydromodification Management Sizing Factors
- Appendix H: Guidance for Investigating Potential Critical Coarse Sediment Yield Areas
- Appendix I: Intentionally Blank
- Appendix J: Offsite Alternative Compliance Requirements and Guidance
- Appendix K: Guidance on Green Infrastructure
- Appendix L: Prior Lawful Approval Requirements and Guidance
- Glossary of Key Terms